Merging memories between Trados and Wordfast
Thread poster: María Teresa Taylor Oliver

María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 04:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 14, 2005

First of all, I apologize if this question has been asked before.

I would like to know how can I merge a TRADOS memory with a Wordfast memory.

I know how to import a TRADOS memory into Worfast to create a NEW Wordfast memory, but I don't know if it's possible to MERGE existing memories from both software programs.

You see, I use Trados at work (Translator's Worbench 6.5.5.438 Build 438) and Wordfast at home (4.0a), and sometimes I work on the same document (with the same memory) both at work and at home.

So, for example, if I create a new Trados memory and then export it to use it with Wordfast, and then add new translation units, how can I then continue using this updated memory in Trados and back again, between both programs?

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:47
German to Spanish
Why not? Jun 14, 2005

Export WF (txt)
Export Trados (txt)
New
Import
Import

Or am I missing something?

Rgds

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
But in your case Jun 14, 2005

I think it is better simply to clean the documents in both CATs

the translation do not need to be finish. Use copies or your docs for that

A question, how do you solves the different segmentations rules and the filter and project settings in Trados to work in both applications without problems?

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
my solution Jun 15, 2005

I have been working in 2 locations on 2 computers and although I mainly only use Trados, teh principle is the same, so what I have done is as follows.

I save all my memories onto a Handydrive in TXT format as backup, as soon as I finish any job, in case I need them when working the 2nd computer. The Handydrive 64Gb plugs into the USB port and means I can take everything with me from one computer to another.

When I work on teh 2nd computer, I create a temporary memory, import the corresponding backup TXT file, translate. Then when back with the 1st computer I clean up the BAK into the main memory, then overwrite the backup TXT file.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TMX...? Jun 15, 2005

Maria Teresa Taylor Oliver wrote:
I would like to know how can I merge a TRADOS memory with a Wordfast memory.

I know how to import a TRADOS memory into Worfast to create a NEW Wordfast memory, but I don't know if it's possible to MERGE existing memories from both software programs.

Surely it must be possible to merge TMs with Trados? If so, then simply take the TMX which was created by WF, import it into Trados, and save as a Trados TM. Then merge it with another Trados TM. Ditto in WF: simply take the TMX which was created by Trados, import it into WF and save as a WF TM. Then merge it with another WF TM.

Or am I missing something?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Merging memories between Trados and Wordfast

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search