How to create TM out of uncleaned version?
Thread poster: Emilija Ivanovska
Emilija Ivanovska
Emilija Ivanovska  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:42
English to Macedonian
+ ...
Jun 15, 2005

I apologise if this had already been discussed before, I searched the forums but no luck. I have some files that I translated with Wordfast, however I can't seem to find the TM I created. I do have the uncleaned versions of the files though. Can I create a TM out of these uncleaned versions? My skillfullness with Wordfast ends at "cleanup text",. I believe it can be done with PlusTools...? I would very much appreciate any help. ... See more
I apologise if this had already been discussed before, I searched the forums but no luck. I have some files that I translated with Wordfast, however I can't seem to find the TM I created. I do have the uncleaned versions of the files though. Can I create a TM out of these uncleaned versions? My skillfullness with Wordfast ends at "cleanup text",. I believe it can be done with PlusTools...? I would very much appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Emilija
Collapse

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Create a new TM Jun 15, 2005

Create a brand new TM, with the correct languages defined and then open it, select all the uncleaned files you want and clean them.

It's as simple as that.

Best,
Esther

Emilija Ivanovska
United States
English to Macedonian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
After this you will all think that I need "Wordfast for Dummies" but... Jun 15, 2005

Esther Pfeffer wrote:

Create a brand new TM, with the correct languages defined and then open it, select all the uncleaned files you want and clean them.

It's as simple as that.

Best,
Esther

Esther,

I create a new TM with the correct language pair (I got this part), and then what do I do? DO I copy-paste the uncleaned version in the new TM and then clean it? Somehow I don;t get this last part

Thanks,

Emilija

Valentina Pecchiar
Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
"Cleanup text" applies Jun 15, 2005

Emilija Ivanovska wrote:
I create a new TM with the correct language pair (I got this part), and then what do I do? DO I copy-paste the uncleaned version in the new TM and then clean it? Somehow I don;t get this last part

Once you've created the TM, make a copy of your uncleaned files somewhere on your disk, open them all in Word, in WF settings make sure the new empty TM is selected and clean your files with the good ol' feature you're already familiar with, that is choose the Cleanup button. That's all!

Best luck

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Detailed instructions Jun 15, 2005

Open Word, close the blank document. Press on the F button to open up Wf -- I'm assuming Wf 4.xx .

Given your level, let's just make sure you created a new TM by pushing the 'New TM' button on the Wordfast main panel. If that's not what you had done, do this now.

Now, still on the TM tab of the main panel, select your new TM -- you might very well encounter your old one at this stage since by default Wf stores all TMs in the same folder.

Assuming the new TM
... See more
Open Word, close the blank document. Press on the F button to open up Wf -- I'm assuming Wf 4.xx .

Given your level, let's just make sure you created a new TM by pushing the 'New TM' button on the Wordfast main panel. If that's not what you had done, do this now.

Now, still on the TM tab of the main panel, select your new TM -- you might very well encounter your old one at this stage since by default Wf stores all TMs in the same folder.

Assuming the new TM is now selected, go to the tools tab. At the Documents tab, press the little button with a folder on it. Select your uncleaned files -- Wordfast will tell you to open a file in the folder where the files are and it will open all the files in that folder. You can then unselect the ones you don't want there.

Once the files are selected, go to the Tools tab and press Clean-up.

Best,
Esther
Collapse

Emilija Ivanovska
United States
English to Macedonian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for your help Jun 16, 2005

It worked... after I tried several times.

Thanks again.

Emilija

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:42
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Clean it against an empty TM Jun 17, 2005

Emilija Ivanovska wrote:
I do have the uncleaned versions of the files though. Can I create a TM out of these uncleaned versions?

1. Create a new TM using the correct language codes. This TM should by default be selected in the WF control panel.

2. Click the Quick Clean button on the WF toolbar, and when asked to update without cleaning, answer "yes".

3. WF will then search the empty TM to see if it can find any of the translated pairs in it, and upon discovering that the TM is completely empty, WF will add the translated pairs as TUs to the empty TM.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to create TM out of uncleaned version?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »