Something that looks like a TM in excel format-How to use it with Wordfast 5.0?
Thread poster: Momoka (X)
Momoka (X)
Momoka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:42
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 19, 2005

Dear all,

I've been asked to work on a very short document as a test for an agency that uses TRADOS and has also sent an excel file that looks like what would be a TM; terms in the source language in the first column, followed by target terms in different languages in subsequent columns. Is there any way I could use this file just like that as a TM in Wordfast? Or is it just a reference document for me to create my own TM? By the way, this agency knows I use Wordfast. Any comments
... See more
Dear all,

I've been asked to work on a very short document as a test for an agency that uses TRADOS and has also sent an excel file that looks like what would be a TM; terms in the source language in the first column, followed by target terms in different languages in subsequent columns. Is there any way I could use this file just like that as a TM in Wordfast? Or is it just a reference document for me to create my own TM? By the way, this agency knows I use Wordfast. Any comments and suggestions are welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Collapse

Antje Harder
Antje Harder  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 12:42
Swedish to German
+ ...
Terms or segments? Jun 19, 2005

Your description of the excel file ("terms in different languages in sugsequent columns") sounds more like a glossary than a TM to me.

I'd try exporting the relevant columns into a txt-file (separated by tabs). Then you could import the resulting file as your active glossary in Wordfast, using term recognition.

Regards from Sweden
Antje

Momoka (X)
Momoka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:42
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, segments. Jun 19, 2005

Thanks, Antje, and sorry for the mistake; it is "segments" what I have in the file. I'll give it a try using them to create a new TM, then. Guess that's what they're sending them for.
Best regards.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Something that looks like a TM in excel format-How to use it with Wordfast 5.0?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »