Problems with opening WFP5 v5.10 on iMac
Thread poster: Wolfgang Schoene

Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:34
Member
English to German
+ ...
Aug 26, 2019

Hi
this morning I had to to call loading of WFP5 six times. This behaviour has already been seen with previous versions, it has been reported several times and is still there. Just wondering if developers listen to users.
Disappointed!


P.L.F.Persio
 

JohnWhi
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:34
French to English
Always the first time Aug 26, 2019

I have never had as many as six failures but, on both my Macs (MacBook Pro 9,2, 16Gb memory SSD, iMac 18,3, 40Gb memory and Fusion drive) I find that the first attempt each day to open the program fails and sends a crash report. Quitting the program also seems to produce a crash. Six crashes today, and I have not been doing any active translation work. Have the Hotline responded to your report? It may be worth looking at Console -> Crash Reports and sending a few examples.

 

Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:34
Member
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Always the first time Aug 27, 2019

JohnWhi wrote:

I have never had as many as six failures but, on both my Macs (MacBook Pro 9,2, 16Gb memory SSD, iMac 18,3, 40Gb memory and Fusion drive) I find that the first attempt each day to open the program fails and sends a crash report. Quitting the program also seems to produce a crash. Six crashes today, and I have not been doing any active translation work. Have the Hotline responded to your report? It may be worth looking at Console -> Crash Reports and sending a few examples.


Hi John
actually, I cannot talk about crashes as the program simply does not start, I have to call it again and again and right now I tried opening WFP5 8 times and it still does not start.
Yes, support sent me a message with a turnaround tweaking the config.ini which opens the program alright but leaves me with a crippled Wordfast as drag and drop does not work correctly and copy and paste double pastes clipboard, so...
I keep trying starting Wordfast, but so far no joy.


 

John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:34
Member (2006)
French to English
Newer beta that does not have the double pasting issue Aug 27, 2019

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:


Hi John
actually, I cannot talk about crashes as the program simply does not start, I have to call it again and again and right now I tried opening WFP5 8 times and it still does not start.
Yes, support sent me a message with a turnaround tweaking the config.ini which opens the program alright but leaves me with a crippled Wordfast as drag and drop does not work correctly and copy and paste double pastes clipboard, so...
I keep trying starting Wordfast, but so far no joy.


Hi Wolfgang, I tried to send this to you by email but the message came back as undelivered.

Mac beta fixes crashing issues (5.11)

This build fixes two Mac crashing issues:
- Crash on app launch and close
- Crash when a file browser window is open in the app (when adding a file or TM for example) and you switch focus to another app

After installing this build, follow these instructions:
1. Start at least once WF after installing, then close
2. Go to /Applications/Wordfast Pro.app/Contents/Java/configuration
3. Edit the file config.ini
4. Append the following lines at the end of the file:
org.gs4tr.jxbrowser.type=light
jxbrowser.ipc.external=true
5. Save and close the config.ini file
6. Start the app

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ
I have posted about this before, but was unhappy with two bugs (namely double pasting clipboard content, but also no file drag and drop). The double-pasting issue is resolved; however, you still can’t drag and drop files.
So feel free to install this version if the solving the crashing issue is more important than file drag and drop functionality. Download here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6sgc01ka7hohnee/AAA9CI8VC9CKpGE1bBkHCZ7Na?dl=0

Finally, with 5.11, you’ll get to test the new UI with side navigation bar.


 

Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:34
Member
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problems with opening WFP5 v5.10 on iMac Aug 27, 2019

John Di Rico wrote:

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:


Hi John
actually, I cannot talk about crashes as the program simply does not start, I have to call it again and again and right now I tried opening WFP5 8 times and it still does not start.
Yes, support sent me a message with a turnaround tweaking the config.ini which opens the program alright but leaves me with a crippled Wordfast as drag and drop does not work correctly and copy and paste double pastes clipboard, so...
I keep trying starting Wordfast, but so far no joy.


Hi Wolfgang, I tried to send this to you by email but the message came back as undelivered.

Mac beta fixes crashing issues (5.11)

This build fixes two Mac crashing issues:
- Crash on app launch and close
- Crash when a file browser window is open in the app (when adding a file or TM for example) and you switch focus to another app

After installing this build, follow these instructions:
1. Start at least once WF after installing, then close
2. Go to /Applications/Wordfast Pro.app/Contents/Java/configuration
3. Edit the file config.ini
4. Append the following lines at the end of the file:
org.gs4tr.jxbrowser.type=light
jxbrowser.ipc.external=true
5. Save and close the config.ini file
6. Start the app

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ
I have posted about this before, but was unhappy with two bugs (namely double pasting clipboard content, but also no file drag and drop). The double-pasting issue is resolved; however, you still can’t drag and drop files.
So feel free to install this version if the solving the crashing issue is more important than file drag and drop functionality. Download here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6sgc01ka7hohnee/AAA9CI8VC9CKpGE1bBkHCZ7Na?dl=0

Finally, with 5.11, you’ll get to test the new UI with side navigation bar.


I downloaded the 5.11 beta version, I did not follow the instructions for tweaking the config.ini file and all I can say is that everything works as it should, no double paste, drag and drop works perfectly well, and Wordfast seems to load on first try every time now. Well done.


 

Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:34
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Crashes and freezes, not only WF5 10 release on a Mac HighSierra Aug 27, 2019

Hello,

I usually needed to reopen WF at least a couple times, for this rlase I tried approx 5-6 times and no way. So I had to give up.

But another big issue is when you leave the Editor open and look at something else for a while and when you go back to the editor it is frozen. Cursor doesn't move, and you cannot even close the program. I need to force to quit losing everything which hadn't been saved.

All this is very annoying.


 

JohnWhi
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:34
French to English
Beta crash on quitting Aug 27, 2019

The 5.11 beta looks good and opens smoothly every time. On both Macs, though, it seems to crash every time one quits. This does not really bother me as it is a very minor inconvenience.

 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with opening WFP5 v5.10 on iMac

Advanced search


Translation news related to Wordfast





WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search