Can you use MemoQ for a company working with Wordfast?
Thread poster: Enora Lessinger

Enora Lessinger  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
Feb 18, 2020

I work for Transperfect, which works exclusively with a version of Wordfast. I do not have Wordfast and work with their online version of it, which works fine but feels like a waste as I am not creating my own TM as a result. I depend entirely on theirs.

I already own MemoQ and like it a lot, so I'd rather not invest in Wordfast. My question is whether I can download their source files and TMs, convert them to MemoQ and then convert them back once translated? Would it make any diffe
... See more
I work for Transperfect, which works exclusively with a version of Wordfast. I do not have Wordfast and work with their online version of it, which works fine but feels like a waste as I am not creating my own TM as a result. I depend entirely on theirs.

I already own MemoQ and like it a lot, so I'd rather not invest in Wordfast. My question is whether I can download their source files and TMs, convert them to MemoQ and then convert them back once translated? Would it make any difference for the company, i.e. would they even notice, and if so would they care?

Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Katia Lopes
Brazil
Local time: 12:21
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I have the same doubt Aug 5, 2020

Hi Enora,

I see that, unfortunately, no one answered your question, so I want to know what have you done. I am going through the same (about to start working for TransPerfect, but I get along really well with MemoQ and do not want to buy another CAT tool right now...). Are you working for TransPerfect using MemoQ anyways or did you get a Wordfast license?

Enora Lessinger  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I bought a Wordfast licence Aug 5, 2020

Hi Kátia,

As you noted, no one replied and so in doubt I did buy a Wordfast licence. However, now that I know a little more about about CAT tools I'm not sure it is possible to use MemoQ for Transperfect. Maybe you are already aware of this, but you'd have to download the translation memory in a TMX format (which I can't remember if you can do since I never gave it a go in the end), ie in a format that works for any translation tool and that your CAT tool then turns into its native
... See more
Hi Kátia,

As you noted, no one replied and so in doubt I did buy a Wordfast licence. However, now that I know a little more about about CAT tools I'm not sure it is possible to use MemoQ for Transperfect. Maybe you are already aware of this, but you'd have to download the translation memory in a TMX format (which I can't remember if you can do since I never gave it a go in the end), ie in a format that works for any translation tool and that your CAT tool then turns into its native format. And then to deliver the file, in Transperfect's project director you have to upload a glp file, which I'm not sure you can obtain from MemoQ. But I'm still relatively new to all this so it might be worth checking with more advanced users. There could be a way around it that I'm not aware of.

Hope this helps!
Enora
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can you use MemoQ for a company working with Wordfast?

Advanced search

Trados Studio 2021 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Trados Studio 2021 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2021 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »