https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/40310-can_i_extract_a_pdf_document_with_wordfast.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Can I extract a PDF document with wordfast?
Thread poster: Conrado Portugal
Conrado Portugal
Conrado Portugal
Germany
Local time: 17:34
German to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 15, 2005

I've just received a large document as PDF. Is it somehow possible to extract the PDF text with Wordfast? And if so, how?

Thanks a lot

Conrado

NGK
NGK  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:34
Workaround Dec 15, 2005

You can't work directly on a PDF with Wordfast. However, you may be able to copy the PDF text, paste it into a Word document, and then use Wordfast to work on it.

Open the PDF, hit CTRL+A to select the entire document, then create an empty Word doc and hit CTRL+V to paste. Depending on the PDF, this may work well, or not so well (meaning: you'll have to fix some stuff manually), or not at all (meaning: you can't copy from the PDF because the file is locked or because it's a photoco
... See more
You can't work directly on a PDF with Wordfast. However, you may be able to copy the PDF text, paste it into a Word document, and then use Wordfast to work on it.

Open the PDF, hit CTRL+A to select the entire document, then create an empty Word doc and hit CTRL+V to paste. Depending on the PDF, this may work well, or not so well (meaning: you'll have to fix some stuff manually), or not at all (meaning: you can't copy from the PDF because the file is locked or because it's a photocopy or the like).
Collapse

Tadzio (X)
Tadzio (X)
English to Spanish
You do it... Dec 15, 2005

Neither Wordfast nor Trados can extract texts from any PDF file. What you can do is to copy the text on the pdf file and paste it into a Word file. (Be careful, sometimes text lines appear superpossed.) Then, you'll be able to Wordfasting.
There are other ways to copy pdf texts. I suggest you read the PDF "How to" window.
Best luck,
Tadzio.

Marek Buchtel
Marek Buchtel  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Use PlusTools Dec 15, 2005

Conversion from PDF used to be a feature in Wf, but it did not work in 100%, so Yves has moved it to PlusTools (which are for free).
You can download PlusTools at www.wordfast.net

Open the PDF, then start Word, open PlusTools, go to +Tools tab, then the "Cnv" tab, and click on "Import current PDF to Word". This basicly does the Ctrl+A and Ctrl+V routine, but you can also use the second button o
... See more
Conversion from PDF used to be a feature in Wf, but it did not work in 100%, so Yves has moved it to PlusTools (which are for free).
You can download PlusTools at www.wordfast.net

Open the PDF, then start Word, open PlusTools, go to +Tools tab, then the "Cnv" tab, and click on "Import current PDF to Word". This basicly does the Ctrl+A and Ctrl+V routine, but you can also use the second button on the same tab - "Recreate paragraphs in current doc"
This function attempts to restore the original paragraphs (which are usually broken after you import the text).

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't

I always prefer to use an OCR tool (Abbyy FineReader is my favourite)
Collapse

espurna
espurna
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Use converters? Dec 15, 2005

Another way is use one of the many converters available (just input "pdf to word" in google). Most of them have tryout versions (just a few pages each time, time limitation and on) that can solve your problem if you seldom need this conversion.

Joaquim

Conrado Portugal
Conrado Portugal
Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You saved me loads of work! Dec 16, 2005

Hello all,

and thanks for your answers.

Marek nad JOaquim: you saved me loads of work! I used the Ptools... and it worked !!.. I had to try 4 or 5 times but finally Wordfast extracted everything. PDF converter is even better: perfect fomatting in word- I tried the test version and I will definitely by it!

This is good since my client doesnt need me to send him back the translations as a PDF file just as a word document. That would mean I had to print out e
... See more
Hello all,

and thanks for your answers.

Marek nad JOaquim: you saved me loads of work! I used the Ptools... and it worked !!.. I had to try 4 or 5 times but finally Wordfast extracted everything. PDF converter is even better: perfect fomatting in word- I tried the test version and I will definitely by it!

This is good since my client doesnt need me to send him back the translations as a PDF file just as a word document. That would mean I had to print out everything and take care of the layout in word; I still have to take care of it but it won't be such a dunting task.

Thanks!

Conrado

[Edited at 2005-12-16 07:15]
Collapse

Kristyna Marrero
Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:34
PDF files Mar 11, 2010

xxxTadzio wrote:

Neither Wordfast nor Trados can extract texts from any PDF file. What you can do is to copy the text on the pdf file and paste it into a Word file. (Be careful, sometimes text lines appear superpossed.) Then, you'll be able to Wordfasting.
There are other ways to copy pdf texts. I suggest you read the PDF "How to" window.
Best luck,
Tadzio.

Actually, we are pleased to announce that Wordfast has just released Wordfast Pro 2.3 for Windows which allows you to translate PDF files directly (if you have MS Office installed). For more information on this new release and to download a demo version, you can visit our website here - http://www.wordfast.com/products_wordfast_60.html

Sincerely,

Kristyna

Kate Chaffer
Kate Chaffer
Italy
Member (2009)
Italian to English
Can't open PDF Mar 12, 2010

I'm very interested in this new feature so I downloaded the latest version of Wordfast Pro but every time I try to open a PDF, I get the same error message - Unable to open MSWord. Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong or point me in the direction of some instructions?

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
Do you have MS Word? Mar 12, 2010

Kate Chaffer wrote:

I'm very interested in this new feature so I downloaded the latest version of Wordfast Pro but every time I try to open a PDF, I get the same error message - Unable to open MSWord. Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong or point me in the direction of some instructions?

This feature requires that you have Microsoft Word installed on your computer, otherwise you won't be able to use it.

Kate Chaffer
Kate Chaffer
Italy
Member (2009)
Italian to English
Yes Mar 12, 2010

Yes, I do have MSWord installed.

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Version? Mar 12, 2010

Kate Chaffer wrote:

Yes, I do have MSWord installed.

Dear Kate,

What is the version of MS Word and operating system you have?

TIA,
Yasmin

Kate Chaffer
Kate Chaffer
Italy
Member (2009)
Italian to English
XP/Vista Mar 14, 2010

I have MSWord XP/2002 and Windows Vista.

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
UAC Mar 14, 2010

Kate Chaffer wrote:

I have MSWord XP/2002 and Windows Vista.

Dear Kate,

As you run Windows Vista, turning off the UAC could help. (Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Turn User Account Control on or off -> (un-check) Use User Account Control) -> Re-start your computer.

I hope this helps. Please let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

Kate Chaffer
Kate Chaffer
Italy
Member (2009)
Italian to English
Still no luck Mar 15, 2010

Hi Yasmin,

I've just tried that but it makes no difference. I'm still getting the same error message.

Albert Stufkens
Albert Stufkens  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2008)
Dutch to English
+ ...
PDF not in Wordfast 2.3 Mar 15, 2010

I have exactly the same problem.
It would be too good to be true if a PDF file could be fed into Wordfast 2.3 and translated.

Kate Chaffer wrote:

Hi Yasmin,

I've just tried that but it makes no difference. I'm still getting the same error message.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I extract a PDF document with wordfast?

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »