Thread poster: Stanislav Okhvat
Stanislav Okhvat
Stanislav Okhvat
Local time: 14:05
English to Russian
Jan 30, 2006

Hi!

I am evaluating Wordfast (5.17v1) and would like to ask 2 questions:

1) Is it possible to copy all placeables (except glossary entries, perhaps) to the target segment if there is no 100% or fuzzy match? Currently I use the Pandora Box command to copy the source segment to target if there is no match. However, this doesn't copy placeables.

2) Is it possible to "translate" number placeables in Wordfast as in Trados?

When I select the numeral
... See more
Hi!

I am evaluating Wordfast (5.17v1) and would like to ask 2 questions:

1) Is it possible to copy all placeables (except glossary entries, perhaps) to the target segment if there is no 100% or fuzzy match? Currently I use the Pandora Box command to copy the source segment to target if there is no match. However, this doesn't copy placeables.

When I select the numeral placeable (marked with grey square brackets) and copy it to the target, no translation occurs. I can understand that this is a tricky questions, since, for example, names of sections like "Section 1.2" should not be translated to "Section 1,2", but... Maybe there's a way to assign a macro, etc?

Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Stanislav
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:05
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Two answers for you Jan 30, 2006

okhvatstas wrote:
1) Is it possible to copy all placeables (except glossary entries, perhaps) to the target segment if there is no 100% or fuzzy match?

As far as I know, you can do it with one of the Propagate PB (Pandora's Box) switches. Search the user manual.

As far as I know, this too can be accomplished with the PB switch (there are several "automatic replace" PB switches, eg for correcting quotes or decimal indicators).

Sorry I can't tell you in detail how to do this, but I don't use these features myself.

Stanislav Okhvat
Stanislav Okhvat
Local time: 14:05
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Copying placeables, etc Jan 31, 2006

Thanks, Samuel! Looks like I haven't yet learnt all the goodies in PB.

Regards,
Stas

Samuel Murray wrote:

As far as I know, you can do it with one of the Propagate PB (Pandora's Box) switches. Search the user manual.

As far as I know, this too can be accomplished with the PB switch (there are several "automatic replace" PB switches, eg for correcting quotes or decimal indicators).

Sorry I can't tell you in detail how to do this, but I don't use these features myself.

Pavel Zalutski
Pavel Zalutski  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:05
English to Russian
+ ...
So how do we do this as of 2011? Feb 12, 2011

Hey, this is an old topic but a good one.

Wordfast has gone a long way since 2006 when the topic was started, and now we're at WFP.

So how exactly do you make the symbol for the decimal change automatically from one system into another when translating, for instance 1,11 into 1.11 and vice versa?

Let's figure this out!

THANK YOU!

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
Uset to, not any more Feb 15, 2011

Pavel Zalutski wrote:

So how exactly do you make the symbol for the decimal change automatically from one system into another when translating, for instance 1,11 into 1.11 and vice versa?

Converting decimal symbols actually used to work in earlier versions of WfC using the PB switch, but hasn't worked for several years now.

Although I haven't tried (yet) to tweak the PB switch, this web page offers very interesting info: http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm

Pavel Zalutski
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
No way! Feb 18, 2011

This is depressing and utterly unacceptable that we have to suffer replacing those commas and decimal points. When are we getting a break? That tutorial you mentioned is like a textbook on programming... Let's look for a solution!

Pavel Zalutski
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
Can we have Wordfast people respond to this? Mar 9, 2011

I wonder if Wordfast people have read this thread and have anything to say... I notice they respond to other Wordfast issues in forums quite avidly... I'm literally stuck and continue to be stuck with the issue of having to manually change decimal symbols. I have similar projects involving numbers that will continue into the many months ahead, and this is, to say the least, a PROBLEM!

Kristyna Marrero
Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
United States
Coming Soon in Wordfast Pro Mar 10, 2011

Hi Pavel,

Currently, it is not possible to convert number formats automatically in Wordfast Pro (as it is using the find-replace feature in the latest version of WFC). The next generation of WFP, scheduled to be released in the upcoming months, will have a solution for this. I will keep you posted on the official release date.

Thanks for your continued support and feedback.

Sincerely,

Kristyna

Pavel Zalutski
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
Does Wordfast 3 have this? Sep 19, 2012

The new version is here. Does it enable to automatically convert numbers from one style to another?

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:05
Finnish to French
Number conversions Sep 19, 2012

Pavel Zalutski wrote:
The new version is here. Does it enable to automatically convert numbers from one style to another?

See Number conversions here:
http://www.wordfast.com/WFP2/Translating_in_a_project/Enabling_Auto_Suggest.htm

Pavel Zalutski
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
In My Wordfast 3 numbers conversion isn't working Sep 19, 2012

Dominique, I see that function. Having enabled it, I don't see it working. My project is set for RU to US English, and the 111.111,11 format remains the same when numbers are auto-suggested.

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:05
Member (2006)
French to English
Does not A-S in all circumstances Sep 20, 2012

Pavel Zalutski wrote:

Dominique, I see that function. Having enabled it, I don't see it working. My project is set for RU to US English, and the 111.111,11 format remains the same when numbers are auto-suggested.

Dear Pavel,
I have similar problems. The auto-suggest function works when there is a non-breaking space (e.g. 111 111,11) but not when it is a normal space.

I hope there will be a fix in an upcoming release to deal with different number formatting issues.

Best,
John Di Rico
www.apextra.net

Pavel Zalutski
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
I hope Wordfast delivers Oct 18, 2012

We wish Wordfast peeps a lot of success and draw their attention that we've been looking forward to this and have been promised this prior to version 3, but I haven't seen this working yet. We're awaiting impatiently to be enabled to work with numbers efficiently.

Pavel Zalutski
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
P.S. Oct 18, 2012

And it should be noted that, yes, auto-suggest is there, though it won't always work for John with the regular spaces... But what isn't working is exactly what the original title of this thread is: automatically inserting numbers into the translation in the correct format, i.e. self-converting repleacables. When you have a file which is a table of numbers and numbers and numbers, you don't type up the numbers hoping for auto-suggest. You need automatic insertion of those numbers as you move from... See more
And it should be noted that, yes, auto-suggest is there, though it won't always work for John with the regular spaces... But what isn't working is exactly what the original title of this thread is: automatically inserting numbers into the translation in the correct format, i.e. self-converting repleacables. When you have a file which is a table of numbers and numbers and numbers, you don't type up the numbers hoping for auto-suggest. You need automatic insertion of those numbers as you move from row to row, like replaceables do, but in the correct format.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation of numbers in Wordfast + copying placeables to target automatically

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »