Mrudula Tambe
Mrudula Tambe  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 16:56
English to Marathi
+ ...
In memoriam
Apr 20, 2006

I had wordfast already installed but my new employer asked me to install another translation tool. Now both the tools are clashing. Can someone tell me how to remove wordfast totally from the PC? This will help me to uninstall and re-install it properly.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:26
German to English
+ ...
Just delete a small number of files. Apr 22, 2006

Mrudula Tambe wrote:
Can someone tell me how to remove wordfast totally from the PC? This will help me to uninstall and re-install it properly.

This is a quotation from the Wordfast user's manual (version 5), page 7, headed "removing Wordfast":
Close Ms-Word. Using your system's file search utility (Windows: "Windows" key + F) search for wordfast.* then delete all Wordfast files that appear. You're done.

Wordfast does not modify your system in any way, does not add/remove entries to your registry base, does not add/remove fonts, does not create hidden files for protection or for hidden purposes, does not add/delete folders, does not add/remove any DLL etc. Thus, all it takes to un-install Wordfast is to delete wordfast.dot.

Important note: most recent systems have "hidden" or "system" folders, and Ms-Word's Startup folder may be located in a hidden folder (perhaps like C:\Documents and Settings\...). If this is the case, set your Windows Explorer or your File search utility to browse and display hidden or system folders. To do so in Windows Explorer or in Windows' File search utility, use the Tools/Folder Options menu, then View then Hidden files and folders and make hidden files and folders visible. Other systems may have slightly different methods for making hidden files and folders visible to the disc browser.

Some systems have drastic Read/Write restrictions on system folders. Some anti-virus software, or very strict network administrators, may impose such restrictions, making it impossible to add startup templates and add-ins to MsWord, by fear of macro-viruses. Although this fear and restriction may be legitimate (most network administrators and antivirus packages don't use such restrictions and live happily), it makes Wordfast operation impossible. To solve this problem, create a folder in an unprotected part of your hard disc (anywhere you can create a folder is, by definition, unprotected). Then, in Ms-Word, use the Tools/Options menu, then "Default folders", to assign the folder you just created as startup folder. Copy wordfast.dot into this folder, close and restart Ms-Word.
The bottom line is: Wordfast is entirely written in Ms-Word macro language, and if your network administrator, or your antivirus, refuses the installation of any macro-based program, then running Wordfast is impossible.
HTH
Oliver

[Edited at 2006-04-22 16:20]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Uninstalling wordfast thoroughly

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »