María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 21:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 26, 2006

Help!!!

I'm going crazy here

I've finished my translation and now I want to check the spelling and grammar of the target (uncleaned) document.

But every time I find a mistake and I open the TU to correct it, Wordfast reverts to the view that lets me see the hidden source text.

So next time I press F7 in Word, the spell checker also looks for mistakes in the source text. Argh!!

I have to keep switching back to the view WITHOUT the hidden text, i.e., clicking on Tools > Options > and unticking the "Hidden text" option, which is really cumbersome.

Is there a way for Word to skip the hidden text while running the spell checker?

Thanks!!!

P.S.: I mention this in the Wordfast forum because I believe there MUST be a way for me to correct mistakes and NOT open the translation unit. I know TRADOS works that way with Word, you don't need to open the TU to correct, as long as, when it comes to clean up the document, you put a check mark on the option to update the TM. Does Wordfast work the same way? I hope so!!

[Edited at 2006-05-26 18:08]

Direct link Reply with quote

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:14
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Search and Replace in Word (workaround) May 26, 2006

Before doing the spell-checking, select in MS Word the whole of the text in the document, then Search for formatting: search for hidden text and replace with hidden text and no spell checking. Make sure that nothing is actually in the Find or in the Replace boxes (you are only searching and replacing formatting information):

Find:
Edit > Replace > More (unless the full Search and replace is already visible) > Format > Font > Hidden (select only) the "Hidden check box)

Replace
...>Format > Font > Hidden
...>Fornat > Language > Do not check spelling or grammar

Replace all

Annette Scheulen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:14
English to German
+ ...
Easy May 26, 2006

Maria Teresa Taylor Oliver wrote:

I mention this in the Wordfast forum because I believe there MUST be a way for me to correct mistakes and NOT open the translation unit. I know TRADOS works that way with Word, you don't need to open the TU to correct, as long as, when it comes to clean up the document, you put a check mark on the option to update the TM. Does Wordfast work the same way?

Of course it does: Just use the Word spell checker (with the source text hidden, of course) and select "Update TM" when you are asked before clean-up. At least that is how it works with my version.

Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:14
German to English
Ctrl + comma May 26, 2006

I'm new to Wordfast so someone may tell me I'm not using it right, but what I do is close the translation session, then press ctrl + comma until only the target text is visible. I run the spell checker over that (and also print out a copy for proofreading). Then once I've made all necessary corrections I re-open Wordfast and do the clean-up.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ignoring source text while checking spelling and grammar

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search