beginning wordfast
Thread poster: babs guzman
babs guzman  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:34
French to English
Aug 5, 2006

When beginning translation say on a 500 word document, can anyone confirm that these are the steps I follow in strict sequence:
1. Open Word. I should see the wordfast icon. Expand that icon.
2. Then open the source document.
Do I then click on the last icon in the bar and click on new glossary and choose source and target language? By doing this, does WF automatically build the glossary for me? I'm confused!


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:34
English to German
+ ...
Steps Aug 5, 2006

Hello babs,

Here is how I work with WF:

1. Open the source document
2. Expand the WF toolbar.
3. Open the WF setuo (by clicking on the last icon in the toolbar), creating a new glossary, saving it and choosing it as active glossary
4. During the translation, I highlight any target word (term) that I want to add to the glossary and hit Ctrl+Alt+T. Then I highlight the corresponding translation and hit Ctrl+Alt+T again. WF opens a term entry box which allows me to enter an additional comment, choose another glossary I can add the term pair to or simply accept the entry as is by hitting Enter.

And that's it. WF won't add anything by itself. Remember that it's only a piece of software; you still have to do the thinking.

Sonja
... off to bed.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Armin Prediger  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:34
German to English
Minor correction and alternative procedure Aug 5, 2006

Pardon my intervening, but this seems to be backwards:

4. During the translation, I highlight any target word (term) that I want to add to the glossary and hit Ctrl+Alt+T. Then I highlight the corresponding translation and hit Ctrl+Alt+T again. WF opens a term entry box which allows me to enter an additional comment, choose another glossary I can add the term pair to or simply accept the entry as is by hitting Enter.


During the translation, highlight any source term that you want to add to the glossary and hit Ctrl+Alt+T, then highlight the corresponding target term and hit Ctrl+Alt+T again. WF opens a term entry box which allows you to enter an additional comment, choose another glossary you can add the term pair to or simply accept the entry as is by hitting Enter.

Also, there seems to be a little confusion creeping in here about the difference between glossary and translation memory, so I'd like to suggest the following amended procedure:

1. Open the source document
2. Expand the WF toolbar.
3. Open the WF setup (by clicking on the last icon in the toolbar)
4. Create or select a translation memory (under the 'Translation memory'/'TM' tag - the two left-most tags)
5. Create or select at least one glossary (under the 'Terminology' tag). I usually have one glossary specific to the field in the document at hand and one more general with useful phrases.
6. Close the WF setup window and confirm the setting changes if necessary.
7. Start translating, either by hitting the first icon in the toolbar or hitting Alt+Down.

The difference between the glossary and the translation memory is that WF builds the translation memory automatically, looking for similarities of your entire text by itself, while the glossary is something you create by deciding which terms you think will be useful to you in the course of the translation.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
babs guzman  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:34
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
beginning wordfast Aug 5, 2006

Thanks so much Sonja (again). Your guidelines are precious to someone like me, a complete beginner. Much appreciate. See Armin's comment following yours.
Because it would embarrass me to keep asking questions (the manual is not 100% helpful I can tell you that much), I've contacted a wordfast trainer in Montreal (list of trainers is given in www.wordfast.net). His fees are a bit steep but if I want to learn, I'll have to bite the bullet, so to speak!
Sharon (Babs is my user's name on ProZ).

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

Hello babs,

Here is how I work with WF:

1. Open the source document
2. Expand the WF toolbar.
3. Open the WF setuo (by clicking on the last icon in the toolbar), creating a new glossary, saving it and choosing it as active glossary
4. During the translation, I highlight any target word (term) that I want to add to the glossary and hit Ctrl+Alt+T. Then I highlight the corresponding translation and hit Ctrl+Alt+T again. WF opens a term entry box which allows me to enter an additional comment, choose another glossary I can add the term pair to or simply accept the entry as is by hitting Enter.

And that's it. WF won't add anything by itself. Remember that it's only a piece of software; you still have to do the thinking.

Sonja
... off to bed.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
babs guzman  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:34
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
beginning wordfast Aug 5, 2006

Hello Armin,
Thanks so much for your comment, much appreciated. When you say highlight, I take it that you mean highlight like we do in word, using the yellow highlight or just making it bold? Sorry for all these questions but I'm feeling very insecure even with the manual by my side. I've contacted a trainer in Montreal but his next training session won't be till the end of August so I'm a bit anxy!
Sharon (Babs is my user's name on ProZ).

Armin Prediger wrote:

Pardon my intervening, but this seems to be backwards:

4. During the translation, I highlight any target word (term) that I want to add to the glossary and hit Ctrl+Alt+T. Then I highlight the corresponding translation and hit Ctrl+Alt+T again. WF opens a term entry box which allows me to enter an additional comment, choose another glossary I can add the term pair to or simply accept the entry as is by hitting Enter.


During the translation, highlight any source term that you want to add to the glossary and hit Ctrl+Alt+T, then highlight the corresponding target term and hit Ctrl+Alt+T again. WF opens a term entry box which allows you to enter an additional comment, choose another glossary you can add the term pair to or simply accept the entry as is by hitting Enter.

Also, there seems to be a little confusion creeping in here about the difference between glossary and translation memory, so I'd like to suggest the following amended procedure:

1. Open the source document
2. Expand the WF toolbar.
3. Open the WF setup (by clicking on the last icon in the toolbar)
4. Create or select a translation memory (under the 'Translation memory'/'TM' tag - the two left-most tags)
5. Create or select at least one glossary (under the 'Terminology' tag). I usually have one glossary specific to the field in the document at hand and one more general with useful phrases.
6. Close the WF setup window and confirm the setting changes if necessary.
7. Start translating, either by hitting the first icon in the toolbar or hitting Alt+Down.

The difference between the glossary and the translation memory is that WF builds the translation memory automatically, looking for similarities of your entire text by itself, while the glossary is something you create by deciding which terms you think will be useful to you in the course of the translation.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 18:34
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
It's not all that simple Aug 6, 2006

When you click the WF icon to open a new TM/Glossary you are also asked to enter source and target languages and to name/save those. Depending on which French and English you work with there are different codes.

Wordfast segmets are by default limited by dots, and a documents with many can be rather frustrating to work with.

There are many hurdles along the way. The best is (as usual) to read the User Manual. It is available in many languages including yours.

Go to http://www.wordfast.net/, click on 'Download', choose your language from the bottom of the screen and download the manual.

There is a lot of technical deatails in it but also the information necessary to start the normal task.

Good luck!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:34
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
Meanwhile... Aug 6, 2006

Hi Sharon,
I agree that it doesn't SOUND that simple but once you understand how to proceed it's really straightforward!
I also agree that the instructions are not that helpful.
I was fortunate enough to work with a colleague who already had it and showed me how it worked. After I went home, I ended up calling her for more help. She' say "go to the second button in from the right and click that" and so on.
It's definitely a program where you need to learn by DOING.
So my suggestion is that if you have a colleague in Canada who's familiar with it and who's willing to dedicate some time on the phone, why not call and work on it together that way.
Open a sample document and go over it step by step. I'm sure some willing colleague would be glad to help. I ended up doing that in turn with colleagues here in Italy!
Catherine


Direct link Reply with quote
 
babs guzman  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:34
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
beginning wordfast Aug 6, 2006

Hello Lars,
Thank you for your email. I did download the manual from wordfastdotnet, but the manual assumes that the reader already knows certain basics. so while I do use it as a reference, there are questions that pop up in my mind that the manual does not address specifically. it misses certain steps that for an absolute beginner are essential and critical. i've been supplementing the manual with posting questions on forums like this one!
I've also contacted a trainer in Montreal who will initiate me into the functions - hopefully the advanced ones too!
Thanks for your email.
Babs (sharon)
Lars Jelking wrote:

When you click the WF icon to open a new TM/Glossary you are also asked to enter source and target languages and to name/save those. Depending on which French and English you work with there are different codes.

Wordfast segmets are by default limited by dots, and a documents with many can be rather frustrating to work with.

There are many hurdles along the way. The best is (as usual) to read the User Manual. It is available in many languages including yours.

Go to http://www.wordfast.net/, click on 'Download', choose your language from the bottom of the screen and download the manual.

There is a lot of technical deatails in it but also the information necessary to start the normal task.

Good luck!


Direct link Reply with quote
 
babs guzman  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:34
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
beginning wordfast Aug 6, 2006

Hello Catherine,
Thank you for your encouraging remarks. Yes, I agree, the only and most effective way to learn is by doing. I actually practised yesterday with a practice document and it went well, but I still have questions that the manual does not answer.
I have contacted a trainer in Montreal whose name was provided in the wordfast net community. I might have a day's session with him.
Thank you, Catherine.
Sharon

cbolton wrote:

Hi Sharon,
I agree that it doesn't SOUND that simple but once you understand how to proceed it's really straightforward!
I also agree that the instructions are not that helpful.
I was fortunate enough to work with a colleague who already had it and showed me how it worked. After I went home, I ended up calling her for more help. She' say "go to the second button in from the right and click that" and so on.
It's definitely a program where you need to learn by DOING.
So my suggestion is that if you have a colleague in Canada who's familiar with it and who's willing to dedicate some time on the phone, why not call and work on it together that way.
Open a sample document and go over it step by step. I'm sure some willing colleague would be glad to help. I ended up doing that in turn with colleagues here in Italy!
Catherine


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Armin Prediger  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:34
German to English
Yes, just bolding it Aug 15, 2006

babs guzman wrote:

Hello Armin,
Thanks so much for your comment, much appreciated. When you say highlight, I take it that you mean highlight like we do in word, using the yellow highlight or just making it bold?


Hi Sharon/Babs,

many apologies for not getting back to you sooner. I meant just making it bold - selecting it - double-clicking the word or dragging the cursor from the beginning of the phrase to the end with the mouse-button held down, then releasing.

All the best,

Armin


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Paola Grochi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 12:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Don't worry Sep 7, 2006

Sharon
As people say "take baby steps"
First and foremost: DO download the training guides!
I was a complete beginner like six months ago (I didn't even know of the existance of CAT tools before joining Proz, even)
Did you download PlusTools, too? because there you have a tool that helps you to extract the most common terms in a document. Then you can create a glossary out of it.
When you start Word expand WF icon. Click on the last icon.
The first thing you should do is to create a Translation Memory. Just remember to introduce the codes.
If there's a term on the source document recognised by the glossary it will be marked in blue.
Anyway, PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE MANUAL AND TRAINING GUIDES.
They're great, because essentially, the training guides were designed to be use on a workshop environment, but also as self-training. Believe me. I'm a complete self-trained, though not an expert, but if you pay attention to the guides you'll be taking advantage of wordfast in no time!!!
good luck!!

Paola


Direct link Reply with quote
 
babs guzman  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:34
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Paola Sep 7, 2006

Hi Paola,
Thanks so much for your sweet message. Yes, I've been practising with wordfast on and off and have even used it in some of my translation projects.
I certainly did download the training guides and manual, but as I said in my earlier posts, they don't help 100% as they assume you're an "advanced beginner."
No, have not downloaded Plus Tools, but will do so soon. I also have a training session one on one with a wordfast teacher here in Montreal.
Thanks again.
sharon
Paola Grochi wrote:

Sharon
As people say "take baby steps"
First and foremost: DO download the training guides!
I was a complete beginner like six months ago (I didn't even know of the existance of CAT tools before joining Proz, even)
Did you download PlusTools, too? because there you have a tool that helps you to extract the most common terms in a document. Then you can create a glossary out of it.
When you start Word expand WF icon. Click on the last icon.
The first thing you should do is to create a Translation Memory. Just remember to introduce the codes.
If there's a term on the source document recognised by the glossary it will be marked in blue.
Anyway, PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE MANUAL AND TRAINING GUIDES.
They're great, because essentially, the training guides were designed to be use on a workshop environment, but also as self-training. Believe me. I'm a complete self-trained, though not an expert, but if you pay attention to the guides you'll be taking advantage of wordfast in no time!!!
good luck!!

Paola


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

beginning wordfast

Advanced search


Translation news related to Wordfast





TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search