Thread poster: Lars Jelking

Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 07:56
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Aug 8, 2006

Having abandoned Trados for the almost crash-proof and much nimbler Wordfast I still receive job offers where the clients demand un-cleaned files from Trados. Since I have removed Trados (and don't want to install it again) I can't convert the WF files or check compatibility.

My questions: Can an un-clean Wordfast file be opened in Trados and cleaned? Does Trados require a TM to clean the file?

Greatful for advice

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:56
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
NO problem as far as I know Aug 8, 2006

Trados segments differently from Wf, but an uncleand WF-Word-file is compatible with Trados.
Regards
Heinrich

ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Kuwait
Local time: 08:56
English to Arabic
+ ...
Lets have a try Aug 8, 2006

Lars Jelking wrote:

My questions: Can an un-clean Wordfast file be opened in Trados and cleaned? Does Trados require a TM to clean the file?

Greatful for advice

Please send me a copy of any unclean file translated by wordfast to clean it by my Trados and lets see.

Regards
Ahmed Wadan

Iza Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:56
English to Polish
+ ...
Agree Aug 8, 2006

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Trados segments differently from Wf, but an uncleand WF-Word-file is compatible with Trados.
Regards
Heinrich

Exactly. At the beginning of my cooperation with a new customer (agency) nearly a year ago I was CAT-less, but as they kept complaining about the necessity of tiresome copy/paste work for Trados, I downloaded WF and made them absolutely happy by sending unleaned WF (Word) files. On the other hand, the fact is that formatting has not been the most complex one so far ...
So they have their Trados, I have my WF and everybody is happy)

Rachel Ward  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:56
German to English
+ ...
Similar problem Aug 9, 2006

I don't use Trados but I had the free trial of Wordfast.

I was doing a translation for an agency who suddenly demanded that I use Trados after I'd finished the translation. I know that Wordfast is compatible with Trados, but I've used run out of the free period and I can't open the Trados files they've sent me.

Does anybody have any suggestions, or am I within my rights to tell them to get lost as they didn't require Trados when I took on the job?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast with Trados

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search