Thread poster: Dana Pottratz
Dana Pottratz
Dana Pottratz
France
Local time: 11:42
French to English
Oct 3, 2006

Hello,

I was recently turned down for a job because the agency wanted translators who use Trados. When I told them I used Wordfast, they said it would be impossible to give me the job because the files are in ttx and Wordfast doesn't accept this format (In French: "nous avons besoin absolument de Trados car les fichiers seront en ttx et il semble que Wordfast ne prend pas ce format". As I'm pretty much of a beginner in CAT tools, I was wondering if someone could confirm (or the opp
... See more
Hello,

I was recently turned down for a job because the agency wanted translators who use Trados. When I told them I used Wordfast, they said it would be impossible to give me the job because the files are in ttx and Wordfast doesn't accept this format (In French: "nous avons besoin absolument de Trados car les fichiers seront en ttx et il semble que Wordfast ne prend pas ce format". As I'm pretty much of a beginner in CAT tools, I was wondering if someone could confirm (or the opposite) the agency's answer for me. I have so little use for TMs in my work and don't feel it's worth the investment in Trados at this point in my career.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:42
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Please view most recent thread Oct 4, 2006

http://www.proz.com/topic/56546

ttx-files are especially converted for translation in Trados tageditor. So the agency is right in that case. At least its much easier to handle these jobs in Trados, but if you have both Trados and Wf you are able to export the file into rtf and translate with Wf in Word and clean up in Trados WB prior to translating the actual ttx-files in Tageditor.
Reg
... See more
http://www.proz.com/topic/56546

ttx-files are especially converted for translation in Trados tageditor. So the agency is right in that case. At least its much easier to handle these jobs in Trados, but if you have both Trados and Wf you are able to export the file into rtf and translate with Wf in Word and clean up in Trados WB prior to translating the actual ttx-files in Tageditor.
Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:42
Finnish to French
TTX in Wordfast - possible, but not for the faint-of-heart Oct 4, 2006

Dana Pottratz wrote:
When I told them I used Wordfast, they said it would be impossible to give me the job because the files are in ttx and Wordfast doesn't accept this format (In French: "nous avons besoin absolument de Trados car les fichiers seront en ttx et il semble que Wordfast ne prend pas ce format".

Actually, it's not 100% correct: there are workarounds for translating TTX files with Wordfast. Here is one:

http://www.terminologymatters.com/ttxpress.html

Dana Pottratz wrote:
As I'm pretty much of a beginner in CAT tools,

However, one has to say that translating TTX files in Wordfast with tools like TTXpress should be left to experienced users.

Btw, are you aware of the French-speaking Wordfast list:

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Wordfast_FR/

It's the perfect place to ask questions about Wordfast in French.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast / Trados compatibility

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »