Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:24
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Shoot yourself in the foot if you want to, but... Nov 3, 2006

sylvie malich wrote:
I am not in the mood to delete files and experiment with possible solutions.

Something obviously happened on your computer that must be fixed. It won't get fixed by the Wordfast staff in a way which requires no action from you. Somewhere down the line the solution would include you doing something on your computer.

Wordfast installations don't expire by themselves -- you have been told this on two forums. The gremlin in your computer decided to eat a file and we'll never know which one. The best thing you can do, is find a way to fix it, even if you don't understand the solution.

So...

1. Have you tried the method of deleting normal.dot? It solves 90% of problems with Wordfast.
2. Have you re-installed Wordfast from scratch? Remember to make a backup copy of wordfast.cfg before you do.
3. Have you remembered to reorganise your TM after you've tried any of the above solutions?

If all else fails, and you don't get an answer form the Wordfast support quick enough for you, why not install version 3.35x until you get the help you wanted? E-mail me privately if you want it... it never expires, and is fully compatible with your current TM, but it is a very old version.

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
My yesterday's answer Nov 3, 2006

sylvie malich wrote:

No, of course I never got your answer. If they got spam-filtered I know nothing about it.
Can you paste the answer here, maybe someone else can benefit from it too?

Alright, here is my yesterday's answer:

First of all, this BAM! is not normal. If you have Wordfast licensed on a machine, it does not get unlicensed just like that. Supposing you had the right license number for your machine, you only need a new license number if you install Wordfast on a new system. This is explained in the license agreement, see http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=agreement.

Now, what to do: check if your license number sticks in Wordfast (in the right field on the tab labelled with a question mark). If it's missing, insert your license number back in place. Re-organize your TM right after you do this. To re-organize, click the "Re-organize" button on the Translation Memory > TM tab in Wordfast.

If this does not help, re-license Wordfast. I understand you tried doing this and the system told you that you need to purchase license extension because your license expired (which is true). The system offered you to pay via PayPal or Share-It. Share-It, a major ecommerce operator, accept credit
card payments, cheques, bank wire transfers, and other types of payments. If you did not go on with your purchase with PayPal or Share-It, you did not place any order and you are not going to receive any invoice.

To help you in your emergency, if you lost your license number for the machine or if the machine does not seem to be accepting it when you re-enter it, let me know your Wordfast install number. I'll send you the license number you need for that install number, so that you can start using Wordfast as soon as possible. Still, go on with the purchase of your license
extension, to make sure you are licensed.

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
@ David Nov 3, 2006

(David, I sent you an email through your ProZ profile. I hope it gets to you. Send me your answer through my profile then I'll be sure to get it.)

Bruno Magne
Bruno Magne  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:24
English to French
+ ...
Out of luck Nov 4, 2006

Hello, Sylvie

From what I know, Yves Champollion is at some faiR in New Orleans and should be back next week.

Why don't you come back to the good ol'times and do your translation the old-fashioned way?

Bruno Magne

[Edited at 2006-11-04 15:03]

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
You know ... Nov 4, 2006

Bruno Magne wrote:

Hello, Sylvie

Why don't you come back to the good ol'times and do your translation the old-fashioned way?

Bruno Magne

You know what, Bruno? I was thinking the same thing. I've gotten so dependant on this technology it makes me think of when I used to flip out when my car broke down. Ever since I sold the car and rely on my bike (live in central Berlin) and public transport, life got a bit more simplified.

syl

Bruno Magne
Bruno Magne  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:24
English to French
+ ...
If you ever want to meet your deadline, Nov 4, 2006

I reckon you will have to translated your text overwriting it.

Perhaps you could get a little help from your TM and glossary. After opening your file, open both the TM and the Glossary either in Word or Wordpad. If you are used to translate that kind of file, you must remember whatever is in your TM and/or in your Glossary. When in doubt, just use the Find function.

By doing so, I don't believe you'll need to devote the whole night in order to beat the deadline
... See more

Perhaps you could get a little help from your TM and glossary. After opening your file, open both the TM and the Glossary either in Word or Wordpad. If you are used to translate that kind of file, you must remember whatever is in your TM and/or in your Glossary. When in doubt, just use the Find function.

By doing so, I don't believe you'll need to devote the whole night in order to beat the deadline

Have a great Sunday, any way

Bruno Magne

Collapse

Jean-Paul Darcis
Jean-Paul Darcis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:24
English to French
In memoriam
Points worth mentioning Jan 24, 2007

Bruno Magne wrote:

Have a great Sunday, any way

Bruno Magne

With regards to Wordfast licence problems, make sure you safely keep the following information:

Volume ID (or serial) of the partition where Word is, Install number, license number.

If you run into problems (and you will, as on any IT system), compare those numbers to the ones you get on the troubled system. If the volume id has not changed, the install number has not either, and you just need to enter again the license number. If the volume ID has changed, then something changed on your installation and you need to get a new license number, since the install number has changed.

If you do not know what a volume id or serial is, or how to get it, just do a basic research on Google ... before trouble strikes.

Best regards

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast license renewal right in the middle of a job ))C:

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »