https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/62074-ctrl%2Balt%2Bdown_arrow_makes_screen_flip_upside_down.html

Ctrl+Alt+Down Arrow makes screen flip upside down
Thread poster: Ann Bishop (X)
Ann Bishop (X)
Ann Bishop (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:32
Dutch to English
+ ...
Dec 20, 2006

I've just started working with Wordfast for a very large project.

I'm using a Dell laptop ( with Windows XP) and I have the feeling shortcuts are different than on a regular desktop because when I press Ctrl+Alt+down arrow, my screen flips upside down...I was able to reverse this, but it wasn't what I was expecting...

How do I get the blue highlighted source words to provide a translation in the target segment (the source words that come up are part of the glossary).... See more

I'm using a Dell laptop ( with Windows XP) and I have the feeling shortcuts are different than on a regular desktop because when I press Ctrl+Alt+down arrow, my screen flips upside down...I was able to reverse this, but it wasn't what I was expecting...

How do I get the blue highlighted source words to provide a translation in the target segment (the source words that come up are part of the glossary).

I'm so new to this, that I'd appreciate any help and tips.

Thanks in advance,
Ann
Collapse

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:32
English to Czech
Go to Control Panel Dec 20, 2006

Ann Bishop wrote:

I'm using a Dell laptop ( with Windows XP) .....

Thanks in advance,
Ann

I made yesterday short demo from Q and A in Yahoo Group:

http://www.condak.net/lekce/zobrazeni/en/00.html

Disable or change Hot keys in other applications or drivers

HTH

Milan

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:32
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Curiosity killed the CAT Dec 20, 2006

I tried this out of idle curiosity.

Now my left-hand monitor keeps flickering from left to right and my cursor becomes paralysed if I try to send it there.

How to undo?

Advice appreciated!!!!

Cheers
Chris in panic mode (from r.h. monitor)

P.S. Sorted now - Pivot software (good for viewing some CAT files) didn't like what I did.

[Edited at
... See more
I tried this out of idle curiosity.

Now my left-hand monitor keeps flickering from left to right and my cursor becomes paralysed if I try to send it there.

How to undo?

Advice appreciated!!!!

Cheers
Chris in panic mode (from r.h. monitor)

P.S. Sorted now - Pivot software (good for viewing some CAT files) didn't like what I did.

[Edited at 2006-12-20 23:09]
Collapse

John Jory
John Jory  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:32
English to German
+ ...
Hijacker Dec 20, 2006

Hi Ann,

Wordfast 'hijacks' some of the standard Windows shortcuts for its own purposes. Normally, I prefer the shortcuts, as they are much faster than using the mouse.

Here's an extract from the manual (you should take time to read it):
"You can select blue-highlighted terms with the Crl+Alt+left/right shortcuts and see their translation in the status bar, or copy their translation at insertion point in the target segment with Ctrl+Alt+down. If you place the curso
... See more
Hi Ann,

Wordfast 'hijacks' some of the standard Windows shortcuts for its own purposes. Normally, I prefer the shortcuts, as they are much faster than using the mouse.

Here's an extract from the manual (you should take time to read it):
"You can select blue-highlighted terms with the Crl+Alt+left/right shortcuts and see their translation in the status bar, or copy their translation at insertion point in the target segment with Ctrl+Alt+down. If you place the cursor on a blue-highlighted term and press Ctrl+Alt+G, the glossary drop-down list will open and show the glossary entry."

However, with Wordfast, I have changed to using the mouse and the toolbar. I use the glossary simply to check for consistency. If necessary, I enter the translated term into the target manually.

HTH John
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ctrl+Alt+Down Arrow makes screen flip upside down

Translation news related to Wordfast

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »