mopc
mopc  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:09
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jan 19, 2007

I'm in this huge German translation and my wordfast keeps interpreting abbreviation stops and other punctuation as full stops.

For example, German is full of abbreviations like "s." (siehe: = see) or ggf. in the middle of sentences, but my wordfast keeps on thining the dots mark the end of the sentence ans thus missegments the whole kabable, not to mention now it's skipping parts of the text!

Is there a way to program wordfast to ignore such abbreviation dots?

Izabela Szczypka
Izabela Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:09
English to Polish
+ ...
Possible, but at a cost Jan 19, 2007

In TM setup, you have a list of end-of-segment punctuation. You can manually remove the point and replace it with end-of-paragraph mark, for instance. The result would be whole paragraphs in segments - is it wortwhile?

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:09
French to English
extend the segment? Jan 19, 2007

You don't say if you are aware of this, but did you know that you can use Alt + Page Down to make Wordfast "jump over" the full stop and expand the segment until it reaches the next end of segment marker (effectively, until it reaches the next full stop)?

mopc
mopc  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:09
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
interesting Jan 19, 2007

thanks! the both of you!!! I'll try your recommendations!

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:09
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
This is one of Wf's weaknesses Jan 19, 2007

compared to Trados. Segmentation is rather poor. Sometimes you get 3 sentences as one segment. But I usual can manage by expanding or shrinking.
Cheers
Heinrich

Marek Buchtel
Marek Buchtel  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 03:09
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
List of abbreviations Jan 19, 2007

You can put the abbreviations to the list of abbreviations (it is under Setup->Segments).
It does not work always, but in about 80-90% I would guess.
You can either enter the abbreviations manually, separated by a comma, like this:

etc.,Mrs.,Mr.,

or when you come across an abbreviation, highlight it (including the full stop) and press ctrl+alt+t (yes, the same as when you add a term to a glossary). Wf asks you, you confirm.
Then you have to close segm
... See more
You can put the abbreviations to the list of abbreviations (it is under Setup->Segments).
It does not work always, but in about 80-90% I would guess.
You can either enter the abbreviations manually, separated by a comma, like this:

etc.,Mrs.,Mr.,

or when you come across an abbreviation, highlight it (including the full stop) and press ctrl+alt+t (yes, the same as when you add a term to a glossary). Wf asks you, you confirm.
Then you have to close segment (alt+end) and open it again (alt+home), so that WF can load the new setting (abbreviation)

Wf will not regard the abbreviation as end of segment

HTH

Marek
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast and Punctuation

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »