Danu
Danu  Identity Verified
Eritrea
Local time: 20:07
Member (2006)
English to Tigrinya
+ ...
Mar 15, 2007

One problem in using wordfast TM. When the TM tries to bring out the saved segments, it gives me just like ????????????????. Geez font (which I am using) is not coming. Do I have to do something with the setup of wordfast or other.

Pls help me on this.

thanks, Danu

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:07
German to English
+ ...
Wild guess Mar 15, 2007

I have seen this in TMs before. Is the TM saved as Unicode? Maybe that would help. Hope you find a solution!

Danu
Danu  Identity Verified
Eritrea
Member (2006)
English to Tigrinya
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I saved it as txt file Mar 15, 2007

Daina Jauntirans wrote:

I have seen this in TMs before. Is the TM saved as Unicode? Maybe that would help. Hope you find a solution!

Hi Diana,

Since I could not find an optiong with unicode, I saved it as txt file. My word version is Microsoft 2000 Professional.

Thanks, danu

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:07
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
FYI: I have moved this topic to the Wordfast Support forum Mar 15, 2007

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
Local time: 19:07
French to English
+ ...
Wordfast TMs don't have formatting info. Mar 15, 2007

The formatting (including font) is taken from the start of the source segment. Any embedded formatting change within the segment has to be set by you.

This is very annoying when each segment starts with a single bullet taken from WingDing or Symbol or somesuch.

Terry.

Danu
Danu  Identity Verified
Eritrea
Member (2006)
English to Tigrinya
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
so what shall I do? Mar 16, 2007

Terry Richards wrote:

The formatting (including font) is taken from the start of the source segment. Any embedded formatting change within the segment has to be set by you.

This is very annoying when each segment starts with a single bullet taken from WingDing or Symbol or somesuch.

Terry.

Thanks Terry.

Could you pls elaborate it a little bit. I am in need of it badly.

Thanks,

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
I don't know what else to say Mar 16, 2007

I'm not quite sure what you are asking here but I'll do my best. Sorry if some of this isn't relevant.

In a font there are two aspects, the hexadecimal code for the character and its physical appearance. For an example, the code x'0057' maps to the character that looks like 'W' in most fonts. However, in the symbol font, the same hex code maps to the Ω symbol.

So, in the original document you might have the segment:

A 5Ω resistor

Where everyt
... See more
I'm not quite sure what you are asking here but I'll do my best. Sorry if some of this isn't relevant.

In a font there are two aspects, the hexadecimal code for the character and its physical appearance. For an example, the code x'0057' maps to the character that looks like 'W' in most fonts. However, in the symbol font, the same hex code maps to the Ω symbol.

So, in the original document you might have the segment:

A 5Ω resistor

Where everything is in Ariel except the Ω which is in Symbol.

When Wordfast finds this in it's TM, it doesn't have any font information. All it has is the hex code '0057' (plus the hex for the rest of the text). It takes the font information from the start of the source segment and sets the whole thing to Ariel so the segment will appear as:

A 5W resistor

because x'0057' maps to 'W' in Ariel.

To fix it, you have to highlight W and change the font to symbol. Then it will appear correctly.

This is also true for other formatting. If the 5 was bold in the source segment,you would have to highlight it and make it bold in the destination segment.

Terry
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
You need a Unicode TM Mar 16, 2007

Danu wrote:
One problem in using wordfast TM. When the TM tries to bring out the saved segments, it gives me just like ????????????????.

Ge'ez script is a Unicode script, unless you have some ASCII-mapped version of it (which I don't recommend you use). Therefore, your TM must be a Unicode TM.

Create a brand new TM, and when prompted to save, select the "Unicode" option. Then go to the top of your existing document and Alt+down through all the segments again, to add them to the new TM.

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Yes, you need a Unicode TM Mar 16, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:
Create a brand new TM, and when prompted to save, select the "Unicode" option.

This is correct. When saving the new TM from Word, select Encoded text > Unicode among the File Format options.

If you cannot find this option (Word 2003, for example, hides it when it considers it irrelevant), save the new TM as simple ANSI text file (the way you did). Then open this new, empty TM in NotePad (or any other similar text editor) and re-save it, changing the encoding to what's called "Unicode" or "Unicode UTF-16". (Don't use UTF-8 or any other flavour of Unicode.) When this is done, all new content will be saved correctly in your TM.

Danu
Danu  Identity Verified
Eritrea
Member (2006)
English to Tigrinya
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
solved my problem Mar 16, 2007

When I saved the TM as encoded txt, it did it for me. Thanks for your helpful comments. I am always happy of being part of this forum.

Thank you all for your contributions.

Dan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

real font is not coming from TM

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »