Thread poster: Patricia Lane

Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:04
French to English
+ ...
Mar 16, 2007

Hello All,

I worked until late last night on a Word doc. It was in .rtf, no text protection or other security or track changes feature.

When I opened it up this morning, I fell off my chair.

The entire text - FR and EN - is in green, crossed out, and there is a black vertical like that runs down the left side of the page. The font has changed as well and whatever font styles had been previously extant have disappeared.

I have no clue what hap
... See more
Hello All,

I worked until late last night on a Word doc. It was in .rtf, no text protection or other security or track changes feature.

When I opened it up this morning, I fell off my chair.

The entire text - FR and EN - is in green, crossed out, and there is a black vertical like that runs down the left side of the page. The font has changed as well and whatever font styles had been previously extant have disappeared.

I have no clue what happened, there was no glitch while working in Wordfast. I can't imagine having to redo all the work....

Can anyone assist? Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Patricia
Collapse

Miranda Joubioux (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
Check styles Mar 16, 2007

Hi Patricia,
Could you tell me if there are any custom made styles in the document ? If there are I may then have the solution.

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not that I can see Mar 16, 2007

Hi Miranda,

There are no styles that I can see. What is odd though, is that when I look at the style, it says "normal" and specifies Arial 11 (note: this is NOT my default font for nomal docs) while the document itself uses Times New (W1).

Moreover, heart attack no. 2, the original source document, which is saved in a SEPARATE folder, has been corrupted as well with exactly the same problem. Why in heck would another file in another folder be touched?

Thi
... See more
Hi Miranda,

There are no styles that I can see. What is odd though, is that when I look at the style, it says "normal" and specifies Arial 11 (note: this is NOT my default font for nomal docs) while the document itself uses Times New (W1).

Moreover, heart attack no. 2, the original source document, which is saved in a SEPARATE folder, has been corrupted as well with exactly the same problem. Why in heck would another file in another folder be touched?

This is the first of 5 files and I have a tight deadline!

Thanks for your help Miranda,

Patricia
Collapse

French to English
Copy of the original? Mar 16, 2007

Do you have a copy of the original anywhere? If you do, what I suggest is the following. Re-open the source language document.
Open the Wordfast setup. Go to Pandora's box and take out the underscore in Keep_Template. Close and save settings.
Restart the translation. Don't panic, it's all in your TM, so all you have to to is click the "autotranslate" icon.
Depending on the length of your translation, this can take a few minutes, but it's worth it. Now try cleaning up and check
... See more
Do you have a copy of the original anywhere? If you do, what I suggest is the following. Re-open the source language document.
Open the Wordfast setup. Go to Pandora's box and take out the underscore in Keep_Template. Close and save settings.
Restart the translation. Don't panic, it's all in your TM, so all you have to to is click the "autotranslate" icon.
Depending on the length of your translation, this can take a few minutes, but it's worth it. Now try cleaning up and check the presentation.

Another possibility is that you may have had a corrupt file to start with. In which case ask your client to send it again - remembering that the work is already done (in your TM).
Collapse

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
original Mar 16, 2007

Yes, I still have the original email attached files. They seem to be OK. I'll save to desktop to make sure there is no cross pollution again.

I'll try your suggestions and let you know!

And thanks for the support

Patricia

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh goodness Mar 16, 2007

Miranda,

I saved the email attached (OK when opening it) to my desktop. When I opened it, the same corruption happened again!

I have no clue what in heaven's name is going on...

Patricia

Bilingualduo  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Track changes? Mar 16, 2007

Hi Patricia
not to state the obvious, but text with strikethrough, in a different colour and with a vertical line down the left side of the page sounds very much as if 'track changes' was turned on when you started working on the document. Is this possible?
If so, you would need to turn it off before starting the translation if I'm not mistaken...

As Miranda said: don't panic the translation is in your TM, and you have an original copy of the file so something can be w
... See more
Hi Patricia
not to state the obvious, but text with strikethrough, in a different colour and with a vertical line down the left side of the page sounds very much as if 'track changes' was turned on when you started working on the document. Is this possible?
If so, you would need to turn it off before starting the translation if I'm not mistaken...

As Miranda said: don't panic the translation is in your TM, and you have an original copy of the file so something can be worked out.
Bambi
Collapse

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nope Mar 16, 2007

Nope, tracked changes was not turned on. That's the first thing I check when I start working on a document...

Probably a dumb question, but as I've never had to do it and the WF manual doesn't really explain it, how do i go about retrieving my translation through the TM??

Thanks all, for the help and support

Patricia

French to English
Do all your other word documents open correctly? Mar 16, 2007

Patricia,
Check to see that other documents open correctly. If they do not then it's your normal.dot that has been corrupted.
The standard procedure if this is the case, is to search for this file with the windows search function and to delete it.
Word regenerates it automatically and the new one will not be corrupt.

David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Accept all changes Mar 16, 2007

Patricia Lane wrote:
I saved the email attached (OK when opening it) to my desktop. When I opened it, the same corruption happened again!
I have no clue what in heaven's name is going on...

Sounds like you first need to "Accept all changes" and then turn "track changes" off.

David Turner

NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Agree with David Mar 16, 2007

Before translating, "Track changes" should be turned off.

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
stranger and stranger Mar 16, 2007

Thanks both of you --

1. all other docs open just fine.
2. To to the "accept changes" test, I used the source file saved from the email attachment to the desktop (intact when doing this procedure) that proved to be corrupted when I reopened it. Accepting all changes erased the contents of the document.

I repeat, track changes was not checked on the original doc. Could it be a macro? Normally an rtf file is the safest format but I don't know which version of W
... See more
Thanks both of you --

1. all other docs open just fine.
2. To to the "accept changes" test, I used the source file saved from the email attachment to the desktop (intact when doing this procedure) that proved to be corrupted when I reopened it. Accepting all changes erased the contents of the document.

I repeat, track changes was not checked on the original doc. Could it be a macro? Normally an rtf file is the safest format but I don't know which version of Word created it. Could this be the issue?

Sigh.... I'd really like to understand the problem...

Patricia
Collapse

Bilingualduo  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
other options Mar 16, 2007

Patricia Lane wrote:

Nope, tracked changes was not turned on. .... how do i go about retrieving my translation through the TM??

Track changes off ...hmm, ok

Retrieving translation from TM:
Take a clean *copy* of the the original file (always keep the original safe and sound!) and simply pass it through WF, segment by segment. You should get 100% matches thoughout.

I agree with Patricia's suggestion that your normal.dot might have become corrupt. I would find it and delete it (Word will automatically recreate it for you).

You could also try taking the original, opening it, copy all, paste it in a new doc and rename it with something convenient (and if possible even in a different format i.e. .doc rather than .rtf). Sometimes for mysteriously inexplicable reasons this simple procedure seems to get rid of the gremilns.

Accepting all changes is also a possiblity but may not be possible from the client's pov.
HTH
Bambi

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not possible Mar 16, 2007

That's the glitch.... I can't take a "clean copy" of the original file -- the minute I save it from its status as an email attachment, it gets corrupted.....

Me thinks I have to retype the whole damn thing....

P

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:04
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
try OpenOffice Writer Mar 16, 2007

If this problem is related to Word, you probably get rid of it by opening it in Writer and save under a new name.
Cannot say what could be the reason for your catastroph.
Cheers
Heinrich

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

URGENT Help Needed!!!

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search