Retaining formatting
Thread poster: Debra Pasco
Debra Pasco
Debra Pasco  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:16
German to English
Apr 30, 2007

Using Wordfast 5.50, I am translating 700 files and the proofreader is having trouble with the formatting.
Parts of the source sentences are in bold and I make sure the right parts are bold when I translate them, but when the proofreader opens the files to PR them, the formatting is gone. This means she has to reformat every segment - and that's a lot of work when there are 700 files!
Is there any way to stop this? I gather from the proofreader that this can also be a problem with TR
... See more
Using Wordfast 5.50, I am translating 700 files and the proofreader is having trouble with the formatting.
Parts of the source sentences are in bold and I make sure the right parts are bold when I translate them, but when the proofreader opens the files to PR them, the formatting is gone. This means she has to reformat every segment - and that's a lot of work when there are 700 files!
Is there any way to stop this? I gather from the proofreader that this can also be a problem with TRADOS, so I'm wondering if it's just a general CAT tool glitch!
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 03:16
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Is the formatting ok after cleanup? May 1, 2007

Usually when the formatting is ok in the target segment the formatting is preserved in the final cleaned document. If not, this must be a bug of 5.50. I use 5.0.
But if you translate the file anew using the TM Wf cannot format the target properly, as formatting information is not saved in the TM.
Better send them cleaned files along with the uncleaned ones.
Cheers
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Retaining formatting

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »