Milan Pavlas
Milan Pavlas
Czech Republic
Local time: 18:22
English to Czech
+ ...
Aug 20, 2007

When working with a unit in an open segment and pressing
Shift +End to mark the end of sentence for deletion, there seems to be an extra space right after the full stop. Pressing DELETE inserts the end-delimeter into the segment and pressing ALT+DOWN to close the segment produces a waring: Problems with the delimeters! Your segment should look like, etc. Is this a bug or can I change something in the settings to prevent this from happening? Thanks a lot.

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Don't delete the paragraph mark Aug 20, 2007

What appears to be an extra space at end of the segment is in fact a paragraph mark. You'll see it if you have All Characters shown in Word. It is important not to delete the paragraph mark at the end of the target segment (or, in fact, any paragraph mark that helps form the source and target field when you translate). Before you hit the Delete key, make sure the paragraph mark is not selected.

Milan Pavlas
Milan Pavlas
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Let WordFast remember then Aug 20, 2007

OK, that makes sense, however, it does not make one's life easier, which is to say, I wish it was not so as I do not see any reason why it could not be a functionality (nature) of WordFast to think/remember/make sure "ahead of me" that this paragraph mark is not selected. As a lazy user: I do not like to remember and be a slave to my CATool Thanks a lot.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
MS Word is stupid... Aug 20, 2007

Milan Pavlas wrote:
When working with a unit in an open segment and pressing
Shift +End to mark the end of sentence for deletion, there seems to be an extra space right after the full stop.

Yes, stupid isn't it? To delete, press Shift+End, and then while holding the Shift key, press left arrow once. You should be safe then. If you're using the numpad, the End and left keys are right next to each other, so it's easy.

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Shift+End is a Word shortcut Aug 20, 2007

Milan Pavlas wrote:

I wish it was not so as I do not see any reason why it could not be a functionality (nature) of WordFast to think/remember/make sure "ahead of me" that this paragraph mark is not selected.

Shift+End is a Word shortcut, not a Wordfast one.

Milan Pavlas
Milan Pavlas
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
WordFast is "built upon" Word Aug 20, 2007

No doubt: Shift+End = Word. Nothing's perfect... Knowing that Word has got a shortcut Shift+End more or less determines processing of WordFast. I will keep on pressing the extra LEFT key as I have done ever since knowing that this key is a redundant add-on resulting from the fact that Shift+End deletes and will most likely delete paragrahph marks in MS Word. As Smmuel said: Stupid. One cannot change Word, but can WordFast really work faster? Thanks again, all of you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Shift+End+end-of-sentence deletion spoils the delimiters

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »