Wordfast Blacklist
Thread poster: Andy Watkinson

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Local time: 17:58
Catalan to English
+ ...
Sep 18, 2007

I have question about the WF Blacklist feature.

(First I should mention that I've read the WF training docs. but can't find any help there - unlike the WF forum here. BTW, thanks to whoever posted the solution to a problem I was having - when trying to work with placeables, my screen would flip in all directions - can't remember what the solution was, but thanks anyway - it's solved now)

I created a Blacklist with my usual typos.

"oft he" (when it should be "of the")
"fro" for "for"
"fir" for "for" etc....

The manual says that when a blacklisted word appears in the target line, WF alerts the user.

It doesn't. Can anyone help, pls?

Cheers,
Andy

Re-reading the first line of this post has me wondering whether WF can also insert missing indefinite articles on its own ...

[Edited at 2007-09-19 10:44]

Direct link Reply with quote

Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
WF group Sep 18, 2007

Hi Andy,
Have you tried the WF yahoo group?
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Wordfast/
You need to sign up, but approval process is pretty fast and the group is helpful for other things too.
HTH
Catherine

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks, Catherine Sep 18, 2007

Hi,

Thanks for the idea.
I've just signed up and maybe they can help also.

I see the Blacklist as an extremely useful idea for catching those typos which the eye and spell-checker don't.

Does anyone know if the terms you enter have to be in any particular format? Spaces before or after... anything like that, perhaps?

Or is it some mysterious PB problem?

Cheers,
Andy.

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:58
French to English
Do you use Word? Sep 19, 2007

'cos if so, I believe there is an auto correction thingy whatsit gubbins that you can customise to suit yer own personal mistakes that the default (or dictionary) won't catch.
I havent used it myself, but I think you can use it for exactly the kind of thing you're talking about.

Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
That too Sep 19, 2007

Charlie Bavington wrote:

'cos if so, I believe there is an auto correction thingy whatsit gubbins that you can customise to suit yer own personal mistakes that the default (or dictionary) won't catch.

It should already work on its own, but you can also add (or remove) words. I have several I just can't seem to get right, so I've added those.
I have Word in Italian, so I'm not sure what it's called, but it's under "Strumenti" (Tools, I think) and then "Correzione automatica".
Catherine

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Try longer words Sep 19, 2007

Andy Watkinson wrote:
I created a Blacklist with my usual typos.

"oft he" (when it should be "of the")
"fro" for "for"
"fir" for "for" etc...

Try using the blacklist with longer words. Wordfast's glossary function has a lower limit on word lengths.

Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Use Word's Autocorrect Sep 19, 2007

Why make life more complicated than you need to? As Catherine and Charles say, just use Word's Autocorrect.

I've added loads of my habitually mistyped words to it. It's also great for shortcuts on terms you have to type out a lot -for example, I've got PISICF autocorrected to "Patient Information Sheet and Informed Consent Form". It saves me a lot of time.

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word & Autocorrect Sep 19, 2007

Thanks everyone.

Yes, I do use Word and the Autocorrect feature a lot.

e.g. "mg" becomes "management"
"BOD" " "Board of Directors"...etc.

The thing is, a solitary "f" sitting on the page is not caught by the spellcheck (or by me either, on occasions) and I can't use Autocorrect to change it to "of" because perhaps it ought to be "if" and vice versa.

There are several instances where it might do more harm than good, and what I wanted is for WF to alert me so I can decide what the word should be. That's what the Blacklist feature is there for.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I'm just starting with WF so I'm sure to have more daft questions in future

Andy.

Italian to English
+ ...
Oh, I see Sep 20, 2007

Andy Watkinson wrote:

Thanks everyone.

Yes, I do use Word and the Autocorrect feature a lot.

e.g. "mg" becomes "management"
"BOD" " "Board of Directors"...etc.

The thing is, a solitary "f" sitting on the page is not caught by the spellcheck (or by me either, on occasions) and I can't use Autocorrect to change it to "of" because perhaps it ought to be "if" and vice versa.

There are several instances where it might do more harm than good, and what I wanted is for WF to alert me so I can decide what the word should be. That's what the Blacklist feature is there for.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I'm just starting with WF so I'm sure to have more daft questions in future

Andy.

Yes, I see your point! Happens to me too, although I usually (sometimes? always? occasionally? who knows?!) catch them at the checking stage.

Italian to English
+ ...
A possible solution... Sep 20, 2007

If it's always, specifically a solitary f, you could get Word to autocorrect it to something nonsensical (such as kf) so that it'll then be picked up by the spellchecker and you can decide what it ought to be in that context.

This won't help if you were just using "f" as an example, of course!

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Marie Sep 20, 2007

Thanks for the suggestion, Marie.

I'd considered doing something similar so that any stray letter would be picked up later - I think it's probably the best idea.

As I said earlier, despite having RTFM, I'll no doubt be back with more queries.

Thanks to everyone,
Andy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Blacklist

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search