https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/84623-copy_paste_from_source_to_target_segment.html

Copy-paste from source to target segment
Thread poster: VIVA VOCE Ltd.
VIVA VOCE Ltd.
VIVA VOCE Ltd.  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 19:37
English to Croatian
+ ...
Sep 24, 2007

Sometimes a part of a source segment I'm trying to paste into the target one appears as another source segment 'glued' directly above the target one, while target segment remains empty.
This slows me down a lot... Could anyone suggest how to copy-paste without this phenomenon? Thank you.

Wilmer Brouwer
Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Leave the last character Sep 24, 2007

Ljerka Polegubić wrote:

Sometimes a part of a source segment I'm trying to paste into the target one appears as another source segment 'glued' directly above the target one, while target segment remains empty.
This slows me down a lot... Could anyone suggest how to copy-paste without this phenomenon? Thank you.

What I usually do is leave the last character when copying. This prevents the colours from being copied as well. HTH

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
This is a feature, not a bug Sep 24, 2007

Ljerka Polegubić wrote:

This is a feature of MS Word. MS Word always assumes that if you copy any text, you would want the formatting of the next letter to be included in the copy.

The only ways that I can think of to solve it, is to either not copy the last letter (and type it manually), or perhaps you ca try Paste -> Paste Special and select "unformatted text".

Wilmer Brouwer
Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
? Sep 24, 2007

Not sure if I understood the question correctly now when I read it again, if you just want to copy the complete text from the source to the target question you can of course do this by pressing alt shift ins

Sigrid Beisel
Sigrid Beisel  Identity Verified
Yiddish to German
Paste -> Paste Special and select "unformatted text" Sep 24, 2007

In fact I used this Special Paste so often, that one day I recorded it into a macro and assigned the Short-Cut "Ctrl-V" to that macro. This makes the unformatted Paste my Standard. When I want to paste with the format included, I use the button.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:37
English to French
+ ...
Doesn't Trados have a function for this? Sep 24, 2007

Under Options > Translation Memory Options > General, there is an option called Copy Source on No Match. If you check it, then every time Workbench encounters a source segment that is not present in the TM (the definition of this depends on your Minimum Match Value %, set under the same tab - if you set it to 75%, then Workbench will consider everything under 75% as a No Match), it copies the source text into the target automatically.

Also, under this option, you have another one ca
... See more
Under Options > Translation Memory Options > General, there is an option called Copy Source on No Match. If you check it, then every time Workbench encounters a source segment that is not present in the TM (the definition of this depends on your Minimum Match Value %, set under the same tab - if you set it to 75%, then Workbench will consider everything under 75% as a No Match), it copies the source text into the target automatically.

Also, under this option, you have another one called Strip tags from fuzzy matches if no tags appear in the source segment. In case you have placeables (tags) in your text, this will delete all placeables from the target sentence upon opening it (handy for a scenario where you have set the option explained earlier) so you can read your target segment better and also so you can insert tags the way you want them once the translation is there. This is complementary, but it probably will make your job easier.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes, but... Sep 24, 2007

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:
Under Options > Translation Memory Options > General, there is an option called Copy Source on No Match.

Wordfast has the same function, or if that function is not enabled, you can copy the source by pressing Alt+Ins. But that replaces whatever has been typed in the target box.

VIVA VOCE Ltd.
VIVA VOCE Ltd.  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works! Sep 24, 2007

Wordfast has the same function, or if that function is not enabled, you can copy the source by pressing Alt+Ins. But that replaces whatever has been typed in the target box.

[/quote]

Exactly. I've tried copying everything but the last letter and it works. Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copy-paste from source to target segment

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »