Thread poster: Ainhoa Bressers

Ainhoa Bressers
Spain
Local time: 13:50
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 25, 2007

Hello,

I'm a new Wordfast user and so far I'm quite happy with it. I am experiencing a problem though or maybe I am overlooking something.

After I finished my translation I saved the file under a different name just to try out the cleaning function. I cleaned it with the "Quick Clean-Up" (Control+Alt+Q) button and the file is still bilingual. Is there something else I should do? I thought just cleaning the file would do the trick. Maybe I am missing something.

Any help is very much appreciated!

Ainhoa

[Edited at 2007-09-25 15:22]

[Edited at 2007-09-25 16:40]

Direct link Reply with quote

Luciano Drusetta
Italy
Hungarian to Italian
+ ...
bak files *do* remain uncleaned Sep 25, 2007

It's normal.

When you clean up your bilingual Word file, Wordfast creates an uncleaned backup file.

Luciano

Ainhoa Bressers
Spain
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But how do I get a clean file? Sep 25, 2007

If the back up file is bilingual how do I get a clean file?

After cleaning in Trados you have a biligual file (.bak) and a doc file ,which is just target language. Is this at all possible in Wordfast?

I just want to be able to proofread the document without the source text.

Thanks

Ainhoa Bressers
Spain
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now it worked Sep 25, 2007

I just tried it again, having saved the document under a different name, and for some reason it worked! Hope it will keep on working!

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:50
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Original file is cleaned Sep 25, 2007

After cleanup the file is left open in Word and you have an cleaned file (target language file). Extension doc or rtf or txt as the original. The bak-file is saved automatically and contains both source and target (= bilingual file)

Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
Quick clean-up Sep 26, 2007

Ainhoa Bressers wrote:

After I finished my translation I saved the file under a different name just to try out the cleaning function. I cleaned it with the "Quick Clean-Up" (Control+Alt+Q) button and the file is still bilingual. Is there something else I should do? I thought just cleaning the file would do the trick. Maybe I am missing something.

Be careful because, as far as I know, the quick clean-up function does NOT update your TM. You need to do the normal clean up, which is under "tools" in the button with the "f" on it.
Also, you can hide the source text to reread before cleaning up using the Word function of "hide text" (not sure what it's called in English, as I have Word in Italian.
HTH
Catherine

Ainhoa Bressers
Spain
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 27, 2007

Thanks for all your comments. It seems to work now. I will try a normal clean-up next time!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

wordfast .bak file unclean

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search