Source text disappearing in an active UNCLEAN file
Thread poster: Dinny

Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 20:20
Italian to Danish
+ ...
Jan 2, 2008

At the end of the day I save and close my UNCLEAN file ("End translation") - but when I open the file next morning the file seems to have been cleaned up and there is no trace of the source text which has already been translated.

I am supposed to deliver the unclean file together with the final translation, so I really need my source text to appear in the unclean file.

Setup is showing "source text black", "target text blue"...

I have searched this forum but cannot find any related Q&A.

TIA for any suggestions.

Dinny

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomasz Krakowczyk
Local time: 19:20
Polish to English
+ ...
Word Tools Options Jan 2, 2008

Dinny wrote:

At the end of the day I save and close my UNCLEAN file ("End translation") - but when I open the file next morning the file seems to have been cleaned up and there is no trace of the source text which has already been translated.

I am supposed to deliver the unclean file together with the final translation, so I really need my source text to appear in the unclean file.

Setup is showing "source text black", "target text blue"...

I have searched this forum but cannot find any related Q&A.

TIA for any suggestions.

Dinny

Please check in Word (Tools/Options/View/Show) if "Hidden text" is marked. If it is not the source text will not be visible.

Kind regards
Tomasz

Ioanna Orfanoudaki  Identity Verified
Belgium
French to Greek
+ ...
Ctrl + , Jan 2, 2008

Hi Dinny,

Normally, in an unclean text, you may temporarily make the source text disappear by pressing Ctrl and , at the same time, if you want to check what your target text looks like, for example, but without actually cleaning your file. This is the only thing I can think of, I hope it works!
Good luck
Yanna

Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 20:20
Italian to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jan 2, 2008

Thank you Thomasz and Ioanna for taking your time to answer my post. The problem is solved now.

Actually, the file I am working on seems to be under a spell, TM is not working, colours are wrong (although I have checked that shading is set to "no fill") and now this strange clean-up when no clean-up has been requested.

When I decided to ignore the problem (deal with it later!) and initiated translating the first following segment, source text reappeared as by a miracle. And it will all be gone again tomorrow morning when I get back to work, but at least I know now that I should just ignore it.

Sometimes our CAT tools work in mysterious ways!

Marcelina Haftka  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Source text disappearing... Feb 23, 2008

I use Wordfast with Word 2000 installed on a new computer after a very short period of Word 2007.

The problem is: I cannot see all the bilingual segments and CAT things while translating...

It doesn't matter whether I check "tools/options/view/formatting marks/all" or press ctrl + , => once I open a segment all the source text and formatting marks disappear. I tried many times, but I don't know what's going on with my new&old Word - it simply doesn't want to show all the hidden text and marks.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Marcelina.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Source text disappearing in an active UNCLEAN file

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search