International Translation Day 2017

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event on September 26-27th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

Create Wordfast sequences
Thread poster: Sabine Doerfler

Sabine Doerfler
Germany
Local time: 13:18
English to German
+ ...
Jan 8, 2008

Hi all,

I've only used Wordfast once so far and am not sure how I can make sequences shorter than a sentence (e.g. every 5 words). Can someone give me a quick tip?

Thanks in advance, Sabine

Direct link Reply with quote

Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Why? Jan 8, 2008

Hi, Sabine,

Wordfast is one of the most adaptable CAT tools out there, but still its limits are set by the usefulness of the operations. I cannot imagine why you would want to segment the text in 5-words units. If you have a special situation, please describe it and we will try to help.

Best,
Dan

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:18
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Do you mean segments? Jan 9, 2008

In Wordfast you can use forced segmentation: select a chunk of text and press alt+shift+down.

[Bearbeitet am 2008-01-09 07:49]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not possible in WF Jan 9, 2008

Sabine Doerfler wrote:
...make sequences shorter than a sentence (e.g. every 5 words).

You can't do this in WF, unless you segment manually like Heinrich said. But think about it... there won't be any advantages to segmenting to anything smaller than a phrase (and since phrases are often nested inside other structures in a sentence, or since the presence or position of a phrase often impacts on word order etc in other sections of a sentence, the shortest really useful segment size is a whole sentence).

Here, I used the Afrikaans version of your post and then translated it into English using your 5-word approach:

==

AF: Ek het Wordfast nog net een keer tevore gebruik, en ek wonder hoe kan ek segmente van minder as 'n sin lank maak (bv elke 5 woorde). Kan enige iemand my dalk 'n kort wenk gee?

Ek het Wordfast nog net = I have Wordfast still only
een keer tevore gebruik, en = used once before, and
ek wonder hoe kan ek = I wonder how I can
segmente van minder as 'n = segments of less than a
sin lank maak (bv elke = sentence long make (eg every
5 woorde). Kan enige iemand = 5 words). Can anyone
my dalk 'n wenk kort = perhaps to me a short tip
gee? = give?

EN: I have Wordfast still only used once before, and I wonder how I can segments of less than a sentence long make (eg every 5 words). Can anyone perhaps to me a short tip give?

==

Not very good English, even though my translation of every segment was quite good enough.

[Edited at 2008-01-09 05:11]

Sabine Doerfler
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Create Wordfast sequences Jan 11, 2008

Hi guys, thank you very much for your fast replies and your help! I did mean segments, of course, and not sequences ... as I said, I'm a new user ... and the translation in question was a long job application with endless sentences about the applicant's professional achievements, so smaller "units" were necessary to handle it.

I managed to do so by using your recommended key combination, Heinrich! And, of course it's also true what you, Dan and Sam, wrote ... in general, I wouldn't segment sentences, either.

Thanks again and have a great weekend!

Cheers, Sabine

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Create Wordfast sequences

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search