How do I analyse PPT files to get number of 100% matches?
Thread poster: ndeahna

ndeahna  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:12
English to German
+ ...
Jan 23, 2008

I've got a huge PPT file which contains quite a few 100% matches. I need an exact analysis - just like what you can do with Word files before starting a translation. Does anybody know whether I can analyse PPT files as well? Thanks a lot, Nathalie

Direct link Reply with quote

Idoia Echenique  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Werecat Jan 23, 2008

You could download 'Werecat'. I use it and it works really well with Wordfast.

http://www.volny.cz/ddaduc/werecat.html

'Werecat is a template for MS Word to help Wordfast users. Red Werecat extracts text from PowerPoint to Word. Blue Werecat extracts text from texboxes and similar objects (shapes) from Word documents.

This is useful if you want to analyse or align PPT files or text in Word textboxes. Extracting text is safe; Werecat does not change the original file in any way (and even if it does, it does not save the file, so you can easily close it without saving changes, which is recommended).

But there's more. You can translate the extracted text in Word, clean it up, and send the text back to the original file (PowerPoint or Word). To succeed, you need to follow a few simple rules, explained below. '

Netherlands
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jan 24, 2008

Thanks a lot! I've just downloaded werecat and tried it with a small file - it seems to work really well! Thank you so much!

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:12
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
thank you Idoia Jan 24, 2008

I didn't know about Werecat. I tried it out and it seems to work. Up till now I have used SDLX for ppts, but now I can start to use Wf.
Cheers
Heinrich

brigidm  Identity Verified
Norway
Norwegian to English
Thanks for that info, Idoia. Jan 24, 2008

This looks very interesting. Look forward to trying it out.

Netherlands
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
one more question Jan 25, 2008

Hi Idoia,
I've got one more question you might be able to answer. When I import text from PPT, werecat creates all these grey lines/ markers in the Word file. When I then want to run the analysis, Wordfast includes these grey lines in the word count. Is there any trick I can use to get rid of these lines? Thanks! Nathalie

David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Analysis should ignore grey lines Jan 25, 2008

ndeahna wrote:

When I import text from PPT, werecat creates all these grey lines/ markers in the Word file. When I then want to run the analysis, Wordfast includes these grey lines in the word count.

Are you sure Wordfast counts the grey lines? It should not and does not here (I have just tested this with the latest Wordfast version) because the grey lines are marked as external to the text for translation.

If analysis in your Wordfast counts in these lines, run Search and Replace in Word, replacing tw4winExternal-style text with nothing, before you analyse.

Mick De Meyer  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Thanks! Sep 26, 2011

Hello,

I just wanted to say thank you for pointing me to this free tool! Even though it says it's disconnected and especially for Office 2007, it did work for me.

I extracted the text from 2 powerpoint (2007) files into Word (2007) with Werecat and was then able to compare those two word files to show a customer how different both slideshows were.

So, exactly what I needed. Cheers!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I analyse PPT files to get number of 100% matches?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search