Thread poster: Duncan Adam
Duncan Adam
Duncan Adam  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:55
Member (2006)
Japanese to English
Jan 23, 2008

I have just started using Wordfast for Japanese to English translation, and was finding it worked well at first, but have hit a major problem.
I am working in Word 2004 for Macintosh and Mac OS 10.3.9. I downloaded Wordfast about a month ago and am only up to about 200 TUs.

My problem is that Wordfast now proposes a match for almost *every* new segment even though the source text bears no relationship to the translation. It is as though it is plucking a sentence at random fro
... See more
I have just started using Wordfast for Japanese to English translation, and was finding it worked well at first, but have hit a major problem.
I am working in Word 2004 for Macintosh and Mac OS 10.3.9. I downloaded Wordfast about a month ago and am only up to about 200 TUs.

My problem is that Wordfast now proposes a match for almost *every* new segment even though the source text bears no relationship to the translation. It is as though it is plucking a sentence at random from what I have translated so far.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?
Collapse

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
Local time: 00:55
French to English
+ ...
Fuzzy threshold Jan 24, 2008

In the Setup tab there should be a value called "Fuzzy Threshold" and it should be set to 75. I suspect you have either set it to zero or deleted it completely.

Duncan Adam
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Fuzzy threshold Jan 24, 2008

Thank you for replying.
Yes, I did think of that, actually. I checked already and it is set for 75.
I can only think it is something related to this though, because it acts as though it has zero threshold. It does still recognise correct matches. It just "recognises" lots of matches that are not matches at all.

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
Local time: 00:55
English to Czech
Japanese as source language Jan 24, 2008

With Japanese (Chinese or Korean) as your source language, two things are critical:

(1) Do you have the right language code (JA-01 for Japanese) set as the source language code in your TM? This is important. Press Ctrl+Alt+p in MS Word, then click OK (and paste the report into a blank, new document unless this happens automatically). The 3rd or 4th line will show the language codes specified in your TM. Does it read "JA-01 > EN-xx" (xx can be US, GB etc.), as it should?

... See more
With Japanese (Chinese or Korean) as your source language, two things are critical:

(1) Do you have the right language code (JA-01 for Japanese) set as the source language code in your TM? This is important. Press Ctrl+Alt+p in MS Word, then click OK (and paste the report into a blank, new document unless this happens automatically). The 3rd or 4th line will show the language codes specified in your TM. Does it read "JA-01 > EN-xx" (xx can be US, GB etc.), as it should?

(2) Did you save the TM as a Unicode text file? Again, this is important. The setup report I mentioned above should show "unicode" next to your TM's path name. If the TM is not Unicode, you need either to create a new one, or to convert the existing one (but the existing content will remain corrupted anyway).
Collapse

Duncan Adam
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan 24, 2008

OK, I have checked that.
The language pair is definitely : JA-01 > EN-GB and the TM does mention unicode.
By the way, this problem seems to have appeared suddenly after about 100 TUs.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Random matches for new segments - why?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »