Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 15:06
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Feb 3, 2008

When you feel that TagEditor slows you down you can rely on Wordfast to give you a break, and then import your work directly back when you are finished:

To do this, you must have both Trados Workbench and Wordfast:

1: Analyse your files in Workbench
2: Export the 99% or less. Make sure to choose Word as the output format
3: Translate the Word-file in Wordfast (or any other tool, even Trados in Word if you prefer this)
4: Clean up the file in Workbench.
... See more
When you feel that TagEditor slows you down you can rely on Wordfast to give you a break, and then import your work directly back when you are finished:

To do this, you must have both Trados Workbench and Wordfast:

1: Analyse your files in Workbench
2: Export the 99% or less. Make sure to choose Word as the output format
3: Translate the Word-file in Wordfast (or any other tool, even Trados in Word if you prefer this)
4: Clean up the file in Workbench. Make sure that you tick "Update TM" first.!

DONE!

Then you can lean back and double check your work by going through each segment in Trados TE, or just press "Translate" in Workbench if you are all set.

Trados TE some times slows my PC down, and it's not because I have a slow computer. Believe me!
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 20:06
English to Thai
+ ...
More efficient under Wordfast Feb 4, 2008

My TagEditor has troubles in certain situations:
1. Too many tag for bad format source texts.
2. TagEditor errors due to certain key strokes.
I agee with the post. I use WordFast better with my MS Word; it does not change my formats when Trados does!
TMs of WordFast and Trados are compatible via the *.tmx format.

Regards,
Soonthon L.

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 15:06
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Main problem Feb 4, 2008

One of the main problems with TE is the speed. If you set the spell checker to check each time you close a segment it takes a lot of time each time you close a segment. Also checking tags etc slows TE down too much. Some times I have to wait several secunds just for TE to close down a two word segment. This is not good for my business....:)

My system is a Centrino Duo, 2 Ghz processor. I have 1 GB RAM. Running XP Pro.

Wordfast uses a split second to close down segments,
... See more
One of the main problems with TE is the speed. If you set the spell checker to check each time you close a segment it takes a lot of time each time you close a segment. Also checking tags etc slows TE down too much. Some times I have to wait several secunds just for TE to close down a two word segment. This is not good for my business....:)

My system is a Centrino Duo, 2 Ghz processor. I have 1 GB RAM. Running XP Pro.

Wordfast uses a split second to close down segments, and other glossary functions saves me a lot of time.

The only times I use Trados is for projects specified by the client to be "Trados only projects", for instance when special settings are required for the DTP etc.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to: Use Wordfast on Trados TagEditor files

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »