Problem with import of TMX files
Thread poster: Renato Camargo
Renato Camargo
Local time: 16:32
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Feb 21, 2008

Well, I have recently downloaded the files of TMs for the European Community. I was able to use the extractor software and obtain the tmx files.

The problem that I have is the following - when I try to open any of them with Wordfast, it starts working, takes a long time, but after finished, no TM is imported. I have a txt file with a header and nothing else.

I have tried with different files (I have divided the TMs into 10 files), but it simply does not work. I wonder if any of you guys had a similar problem. Any help is welcomed.

Renato

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-02-21 20:06]

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:32
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Bilingual or multilingual? Feb 22, 2008

Renato Camargo wrote:
Well, I have recently downloaded the files of TMs for the European Community. I was able to use the extractor software and obtain the tmx files.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "extractor", but my first question is whether you've reduced the EU's multilingual TMs to bilingual TMs. Because WF can't read those multilingual ones.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What works for me Feb 22, 2008

Renato Camargo wrote:
Well, I have recently downloaded the files of TMs for the European Community.

Here's what I did:

1. Merge a couple of TMXes using TMXMerger. Get it here: http://www.omegat.org/en/resources.html. The syntax is:

TMXMerger-1.0.jar *.TMX > bigtm.TMX

2. Create a new, blank TM in Trados 7 (demo version).

3. Open the bigtm.TMX file in Babelpad (unicode editor) and replace the language codes with codes that Trados will recognise. For example, if I wanted FR-FR, but my Trados installation only has NL-NL, I replace FR-FR with NL-NL in the TMX file (make sure that NL-NL does not yet exist in it, though).

4. Import the TMX file in Trados, using the "Check matching sub-languages" option.

5. Export the TMX again and save under a different name.

The demo version of Trados 7 won't open a TM that is too big, but it will import and export TMs that are too big, if the initial TM is small enough.

Renato Camargo
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem with import of TMX files - bilingual Feb 22, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:

Renato Camargo wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by the "extractor", but my first question is whether you've reduced the EU's multilingual TMs to bilingual TMs. Because WF can't read those multilingual ones.

The bilingual ones. By extractor I mean a piece of software that we need to use to extract the pair of language desired. I wonder if I could not import the TMs because of the version of Wordfast I use (3.35).

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The WF version shouldn't make a difference Feb 23, 2008

Renato Camargo wrote:
By extractor I mean a piece of software that we need to use to extract the pair of language desired. I wonder if I could not import the TMs because of the version of Wordfast I use (3.35).

The WF version shouldn't make a difference, but here's something you can try. Go to the WF Yahoogroup's file section and grab the little program Wf2Tmx. Then use that program to convert the TMX file to the WF format -- perhaps there is something just a little too advanced in the TMX that WF doesn't like.

Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
tmxtract presentation Feb 23, 2008

Renato Camargo wrote:

The problem that I have is the following - when I try to open any of them with Wordfast, it starts working, takes a long time, but after finished, no TM is imported. I have a txt file with a header and nothing else.

I have tried with different files (I have divided the TMs into 10 files), but it simply does not work. I wonder if any of you guys had a similar problem. Any help is welcomed.

Renato

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-02-21 20:06]

Hi Renato,

1. Do you have CAT for run big TMs? TMX is TXT, you use in Worfast "Reference search" without converting files into TM.

2. WF cannot open TMX with added fields (for creating glossary, Olifant cannot open TMX with wrong header. Try another import features in MetaTexis or in MemoQ or Xbench.

Here are 5 presentations: extracting, convering, testing in MetaTexis and with WfServer (you need WF 5.51 or 5.52 and WF licence).

http://www.condak.net/dgt/tmxtract/cs/00.html

Milan

Wordfast and MetaTexis Trainer

Renato Camargo
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution found... Feb 27, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:

Renato Camargo wrote:
By extractor I mean a piece of software that we need to use to extract the pair of language desired. I wonder if I could not import the TMs because of the version of Wordfast I use (3.35).

The WF version shouldn't make a difference, but here's something you can try. Go to the WF Yahoogroup's file section and grab the little program Wf2Tmx. Then use that program to convert the TMX file to the WF format -- perhaps there is something just a little too advanced in the TMX that WF doesn't like.

Well, when I was looking for WF2Tmx, I came across another topic http://deu.proz.com/topic/97519 where someone mentioned a piece of software called TMX Validator. After download and install, it indeed found an error in my file and cleaned it. After that, Wordfast was able to import the TMs perfectly and created a txt file as I thought it would. Now it works like a charm.

Thank you guys.

Husam Qarawi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:32
Member (2008)
Arabic to English
+ ...
TMX May 16, 2008

I apologize for interrupting the thread. I received a TM from a client who asked me to update it. I already did the correction on the word file, and now I need to import it into TRADOS. I think after opening the TM file in Trados, I have to import the the word file, which contains the target language, into Trados to overwrite the TM., and do that I think the word file should be in TMX format. My Q is how to convert the word file into TMX, and is my way to update the TM correct?
Please advice.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with import of TMX files

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search