United Kingdom
Local time: 05:51
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Mar 9, 2008

Dear all,

I am having another problem:

I used to follow the procedure suggested on http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=knowledge&Task=view&questId=71&catId=18 when translating xml files. Now with my new laptop (Vista and Word 2007), I cannot do this any more. When I come to re-opening the plain text file (which I had to close as it didn't open the segments correctly), Word tells me "Cannot open the file because of problems with the contents).

I thought Plustools might solve the problem, but I haven't been able to install this programme either (see my last post). This is very bad news as I have got to translate a whole load of xml files on a very tight deadline...

Any help gratefully received,
Kathrin

Direct link Reply with quote

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Any use? Mar 9, 2008

One way I have used before is to take the XML file and create a 3 column Word table from it, i.e. the tag / the contents / the tag, using Word's "text-to-table" feature.

Take a copy of that file containing just the middle column, and translate it using wordfast.

Then whack the translated middle column back into into the Word document table, in between the tags.

Do the old "table-to-text" and Bob's yer uncle.

That is roughly what I did, there may be extra tweaks required (I think there was a search and replace involving "/" characters at some point...)

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:51
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
My method... Mar 10, 2008

Kathrin Harrison wrote:
I used to follow the procedure suggested on http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=knowledge&Task=view&questId=71&catId=18 when translating xml files:

Open your .xml file in Notepad, select all (Ctrl+A), copy (Ctrl+C), open a new Word file, paste (Ctrl+V), save your Word file as text only with UTF-8 character encoding.

Do not save the file as UTF8. Save it as MS Word DOC (or DOCX). Then translate it as usual. When you're done, go F12 (Save As), select "Encoded Text", and select "UTF 8" (not "Unicode") when prompted. Optionally change the file extension.

Kathrin Harrison  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Probem solved Mar 10, 2008

Thanks for your advice, Charlie and Samuel.

I have now managed to install Plustools ok with some help from WF support (who, I have to say again, are just fantastic) and I can now work with xml files.

Best regards,
Kathrin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot work with xml files

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search