Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:39
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sep 7, 2012

G'day XTM support

Is there a way to download the translation so that I can do a spell-check in MS Word? I know I can copy all the text on the web page by clicking in a corner and doing Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C, but that copies a lot more and it doesn't keep the target text in an easy to select spot. XTM seems to ignore FireFox's installed spelling dictionary and insists on using its own dictionary, which contains very few words in my target language. I would feel a lot safer if I can spell
... See more
G'day XTM support

Is there a way to download the translation so that I can do a spell-check in MS Word? I know I can copy all the text on the web page by clicking in a corner and doing Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C, but that copies a lot more and it doesn't keep the target text in an easy to select spot. XTM seems to ignore FireFox's installed spelling dictionary and insists on using its own dictionary, which contains very few words in my target language. I would feel a lot safer if I can spellcheck the translation.

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

XTM Intl
XTM Intl
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:39
RE: Sep 7, 2012

Hello Samuel,

Unfortunately, there is no such an option in the System to copy the translation from all segments. The thing you can do, is to go to the 'Files' and generate the target document. Target document has the same format as source document, but you can also download it as .pdf, or .html. After that you can copy the translation from the target file and paste it to MS Word to run the spellchecker.

Kind regards,
Szymon Dobry

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:39
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Browser-based spell-checking Sep 7, 2012

XTM Intl wrote:
Unfortunately, there is no such an option in the System to copy the translation from all segments.

Are there plans to allow translators to use their browser's spell-checker instead of using XTM's built-in spellchecker? I understand that the built-in spell-checker has many more features than a browser's spell-checker, but all those features are meaningless if the spell-checker dictionary is small.

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 07:39
English to Chinese
Have you tried downloading the file in xliff format? Sep 7, 2012

Hi Samuel,

I am not sure if this is helpful to you at all, but the alternative I thought of is downloading the xtm project in xliff format and open it in your CAT tool that supports this file format and also has the spell check feature, such as SDL Studio.
Just be careful with the tags. If they were accidentally modified/deleted, you may run into problems when uploading the file back to xtm--I am saying this from my own experience:)

Chun-yi

Samuel Murray wrote:

XTM Intl wrote:
Unfortunately, there is no such an option in the System to copy the translation from all segments.

Are there plans to allow translators to use their browser's spell-checker instead of using XTM's built-in spellchecker? I understand that the built-in spell-checker has many more features than a browser's spell-checker, but all those features are meaningless if the spell-checker dictionary is small.

XTM Intl
XTM Intl
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:39
RE: Sep 10, 2012

Hello Samuel,

We have been thinking a lot about your question. It's not possible to turn off XTM spellcheck, it will be possible in next version, which will be released in October.

We have checked, that XTM is already using dictionaries build in firefox. You should see some of the words in editor underlined with red, when you are working. The problem is, that it's not easy to switch language during the work in XTM, because on most of pages firefox context menu is blocke
... See more
Hello Samuel,

We have been thinking a lot about your question. It's not possible to turn off XTM spellcheck, it will be possible in next version, which will be released in October.

We have checked, that XTM is already using dictionaries build in firefox. You should see some of the words in editor underlined with red, when you are working. The problem is, that it's not easy to switch language during the work in XTM, because on most of pages firefox context menu is blocked.

However we have found a way to do it. According to firefox tutorial you should be able to switch dictionary when you right click on multiline textbox. The only places where firefox context menu is not blocked and you can find multiline texbox are TM and Terminology tabs.

So please open terminology tab click new to add new term. Right click on any of following textboxes Definition/Reference/Remarks/Context and from context menu select language. Now you see the list of your dictionaries and you can switch language. When you set language you can go again to your project and open editor, which now will be using spellcheck based on selected dictionary.

Kind regards,
Przemysław Nowak
(XTM Support)
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Downloading the translation

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »