Some of these cookies are essential to the operation of the site,
while others help to improve your experience by providing insights into how the site is being used.
English to Chinese: Chronic hepatitis B & liver damage (Abstract from Patient Information Booklet) General field: Medical Detailed field: Medical: Health Care
Source text - English • When HBV infects the liver, the body’s immune system tries to kill the virus. In doing so, the immune system causes inflammation and damage to the liver.
• After becoming inflamed, the liver tries to repair itself and causes scarring. This process is called fibrosis.
• Severe fibrosis causes the liver to shrink and become hard and prevents it from working properly. This process is called cirrhosis.
• If cirrhosis is so bad that the liver is no longer able to work, this is called liver failure. Because the liver has so many important jobs in the body, liver failure is very serious.
• Having chronic hepatitis B also puts people at higher risk for developing a liver cancer called hepatocellular carcinoma.
• Chronic hepatitis B can lead to cirrhosis, liver failure, liver cancer and death.