KudoZ home » Arabic to English » Materials (Plastics, Ceramics, etc.)

خشب الابلكاش

English translation: Plywood


Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs
(or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
08:16 Jul 3, 2008
Arabic to English translations [PRO]
Materials (Plastics, Ceramics, etc.) / Wood Types
Arabic term or phrase: خشب الابلكاش
ما هى الترجمة الدقيقة لنوع الخشب المسمى خشب أبلكاش
English translation:Plywood
Selected response from:

Local time: 23:49
Grading comment
4 KudoZ points were awarded for this answer


Summary of answers provided
4 +4PlywoodMoodi
2wood veneer (for appliqué) / wooden inlaysBubo Coromandus
1 -2Feltxxxsavaria

Discussion entries: 3



5 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 1/5Answerer confidence 1/5 peer agreement (net): -2

Is it this you are looking for?

Note added at 11 perc (2008-07-03 08:27:49 GMT)


Note added at 13 perc (2008-07-03 08:30:01 GMT)

Sorry,I think now the link is correctly available.I didn't know that proz.com breaks links and makes them unavailable like that.

Is it that what you are looking for?

Note added at 15 perc (2008-07-03 08:31:55 GMT)


Note added at 17 perc (2008-07-03 08:33:32 GMT)



Note added at 18 perc (2008-07-03 08:35:09 GMT)

When you bring your mouse to the link it appears in the downer part of your browser.Try to copy it out from there...proz.com breaks the links when it is too long for the site...I cannot do anything about it,I am sorry.

Note added at 20 perc (2008-07-03 08:37:02 GMT)

Now it is okay.Just copy the second part of the link(which is not clickable) together(!) with the clickable part,and it will constitute a proz.com KudoZ page,exactly that particular page where the question has already been dealt with.

    Reference: http://www.proz.com/kudoz/english_to_arabic/poetry_literatur...
Local time: 22:49
Native speaker of: Native in HungarianHungarian
Notes to answerer
Asker: خشب الابلكاش This is a some sort of wood like chip wood

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
disagree  Noha Kamal, PhD.: Felt is a kind of fabric, not wood. We call it لباد
4 hrs
  -> okay.sorry!

disagree  Mohammad Gornas: plywood is the correct answer
271 days
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

58 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 2/5Answerer confidence 2/5
wood veneer (for appliqué) / wooden inlays

If الابلكاش comes from the West then it could come from "appliqué", although the ends of the two words are different. If this is not right then it may give someone else a better idea.

Appliqué is a French word meaning "applied" and in the case of wood it is a kind of veneer, used to make "wooden inlays".


For example, a panel surrounding a radio in a car may include two
appliques; an aesthetic ***wood veneer applique*** on the most prominent portion of the panel, and a black matte applique adjacent the digital display of the radio to minimize reflections from the display.

Here are pictures of "wooden inlays":
http://images.google.es/images?hl=es&q=wooden inlays&btnG=Bu...

Meaning of "wood veneer":

In woodworking, veneer refers to thin slices of wood, usually thinner than 3 mm (1/8 inch), that are typically glued onto core panels (typically, wood, particle board or medium density fiberboard) to produce flat panels such as doors, tops and panels for cabinets, parquet floors and parts of furniture. They are also used in marquetry. Plywood consists of three or more layers of veneer, each glued with its grain at right angles to adjacent layers for strength. Veneer beading is a thin layer of decorative edging placed around objects, such as jewelry boxes.
Veneering is an ancient art, dating back to the ancient Egyptians who used veneers on their furniture and sarcophagi.

Note added at 2 hrs (2008-07-03 10:38:44 GMT)

If the word doesn't come from the West, it could be Farsi, Urdu ... and someone who speaks those languages might recognize it. Why don't you post the question أبلكاش in the combinations Farsi to English and/or Farsi to Arabic and the same with Urdu? Quite often askers do that when they aren't sure which language a term comes from.

Bubo Coromandus
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish
Notes to answerer
Asker: Thank you. I think it is either plywood or chip wood? what do you think?

Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

2 hrs   confidence: Answerer confidence 4/5Answerer confidence 4/5 peer agreement (net): +4


Local time: 23:49
Native speaker of: Native in ArabicArabic
PRO pts in category: 4

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
agree  zax
3 hrs

agree  a1interpreter
15 hrs

agree  Ahmed Ahmed
1 day17 hrs

agree  xxxsavaria
9 days
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Return to KudoZ list

KudoZ™ translation help
The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Term search
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search