How helpful is Trados5 in English into Arabic translation?
Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.
You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs (or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
05:46 Jan 7, 2002
Arabic to English translations [Non-PRO] Tech/Engineering
Arabic term or phrase:How helpful is Trados5 in English into Arabic translation?
I need to know something about the software before I decide on purchasing a copy for myself.
Explanation: Please continue to explore this matter and let us know what you find out. I am just as curious about Trados, especially after my latest oil and gas project.
I worked briefly with a trial version of Trados, but I found three features not very attractive:
1. The learning curve is somewhat steep. It is not as intuitive as I would have it. I am sure that after proper training and some experience, one would gain facility, but the initial experience was somewhat discouraging.
2. The price was steep too, much more so than other translation memory tools. I assume it is worth it. The question is can one afford it (even the freelancer version)?
3. In my case, my computer was so antiquated that I needed to upgrade my hardware first before I could make use of such a program. That is what I am trying to accomplish currently.
So please explore Trados and report back to us. Perhaps you can start a Forum discussion. You will get better engagement there than in KudoZ, where we mostly deal with terms, as you know.
1. If you are thinking on purchasing Trados, I think you should do if you intend to work with international agencies as it is required by the clients in most of the projects. Thats because it is considered yet the best.
2. I think Trados is not easiest Computer Aided Translation Package, but still it is the most reliable.
3. If you intend to have big projects with huge TMs.
4. With Trados 5, you have a godd terminology management system which is MultiTerm.
5. WinAlign is also a good tool included in the package to enable you make use of already translated files to build a TM for future reference.
6. TagEditor is also a powerful tool included for the translation of tagged formats such as HTML/ASP/JSP, XML and XSL.
4. For more details and questions you can engage in an online discussions with other Trados users and TRADOS staff about technology, customers, and language related issues at: http://www.translationzone.com