15:43 Oct 26, 2004
This question was closed without grading. Reason: No acceptable answer

Danish to English translations [PRO]
Tech/Engineering - Mechanics / Mech Engineering
Danish term or phrase: Fallerørene
part of a door lock
United States
Local time: 15:15

Summary of answers provided
4 +1The followers.
Shaun Friel



2 hrs   confidence: Answerer confidence 4/5Answerer confidence 4/5 peer agreement (net): +1
The followers.

In a door lock mechanism, the door handles actuate the lock through a square drive bar known as a spindle. The spindle passes through a square hole in the lock mechanism, known as the follower. The European standard specifies a dimension of 8mm x 8mm for this component. Most references to fallerør I have found on the web quote this same dimensional specification.

    Reference: http://www.bernards.co.uk/door_furniture_spindles_faq.htm
Shaun Friel
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:15
Native speaker of: English

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
agree  Dan Schioenning Larsen: it is the mechanism/hole in the latch (falle) that the spindle pass through. When you activate the handle, the spindle turns the follower and retracts the latch, so the door can open. See image: http://www.codelocks.co.uk/pushbutton-lock.htm
1 hr
  -> Thanks
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs (or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.

KudoZ™ translation help

The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Your current localization setting


Select a language

Term search
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search