KudoZ home » Dutch to English » Other

licentiaatsdiploma voor musicologie

English translation: Master's / Bachelor's (degree) in musicology


Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs
(or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
Dutch term or phrase:licentiaatsdiploma voor musicologie
English translation:Master's / Bachelor's (degree) in musicology
Entered by: Adam Smith
- Contribute to this entry
- Include in personal glossary

08:55 May 16, 2003
Dutch to English translations [Non-PRO]
Dutch term or phrase: licentiaatsdiploma voor musicologie
from the University of Gent
Local time: 12:57
Masters (degree) in musicology
Masters (degree) in musicology - Similar prhases have cropped up recently, just check the glossary for "licentiaat".
Selected response from:

Adam Smith
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:57
Grading comment
2 KudoZ points were awarded for this answer


Summary of answers provided
5Masters (degree) in musicology
Adam Smith
5Additional information: Reform of higher education
3 +1Bachelor's degree in musicology
Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen



3 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 5/5
Masters (degree) in musicology

Masters (degree) in musicology - Similar prhases have cropped up recently, just check the glossary for "licentiaat".

Adam Smith
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:57
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in pair: 1145

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
agree  J. Leo
6 mins

disagree  Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen: isn't "masters" the equivalent of "maîtrise" ??
27 mins
  -> Yes in French - Ghent University's website refers to kandidaat (2 years) and licentiaat (3 year) components. Five year courses would normally be awarded by master's degrees (exception is medicine), cfr. glossary for more discussions on this topic
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

36 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 3/5Answerer confidence 3/5 peer agreement (net): +1
Bachelor's degree in musicology

I found the length of bot studies,
4 years for bachelor, 4 years for licentiaat. See below :

education - [ Traduire cette page ]
... If you do a bachelor’s in Musicology, you will discover a wealth of ideas
about music and forms of music from various societies and periods. ...
www.english.uva.nl/education/ object.cfm?objectid=077460AF-5533-4F6C-AC7548A06F58FADF

Degree Programs: BA - Queen's School of Music - [ Traduire cette page ]
... The four-year Bachelor of Arts Honours program with a Medial Concentration in ... choose
a main area of study, selected from musicology/ethnomusicology, theory ...

Faculteit Letteren - Licentiaat in de Musicologie. De student moet voor het derde en het vierde jaar samen 120 studiepunten opnemen. Met betrekking tot ...

It seems to me that Masters corresponds to maîtrise - Meester

PDF]Lijst van voortgezette academische opleidingen 2002-2003
Format de fichier: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Version HTML
..lijk recht, geschiedenis, archeologie, kunstwetenschappen, musicologie, rechten, criminologische ... GAS cultuurwetenschappen, GAS culturele studies, **meester in de ... **
www.kuleuven.ac.be/onderwijs/aanbod/ toelatingsvoorwaarden_2002_2003.pdf

Note added at 2003-05-16 09:32:14 (GMT)

Sorry Adam, meant to put \"neutral\" but scrolling changed it into \"disagree\"

Elisabeth Toda-v.Galen
Local time: 12:57
Native speaker of: Native in FrenchFrench
PRO pts in pair: 75

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
neutral  Adam Smith: Apology accepted!! :-) My take on this is that in the UK at least, 4-year (integral) courses normally lead to "Master's degrees". It's certainly is the case in Scotland, and also in some English universities.
21 mins

agree  Saskia Steur
1 day 2 hrs
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

3 hrs   confidence: Answerer confidence 5/5
Additional information: Reform of higher education

In the framework of the ongoing reform
of higher education in Europe, the term "licentiaat" will disappear (degrees will be: bachelor and masters)

"Hence, in May 1998, the Sorbonne Declaration called for the reorganization of higher education studies into an undergraduate cycle, leading to a first qualification and a graduate cycle leading to a master and/or doctoral degree. It was further suggested that participating countries adopt a "European model" with two main levels of qualifications requiring three, five, or eight years of study. These roughly correspond to the U.S. system of bachelor, master and doctoral levels.

However, implementation of the two-cycle model is problematic on several levels. For one thing, no single country in Europe has an across-the-board system of three-year first degrees in all sectors of higher education or in all disciplines. Bachelor-type programs in Europe generally last between three and four years. In Britain, for instance, most bachelor degrees take three years to complete, but many require four years of study, particularly academic programs that require work-study, internships or studying abroad (for instance, languages).
Although there has been little harmonization with regard to first-degree programs, European countries have agreed on a total duration of five years (with a few exceptions) for a master's degree. Therefore, it should be easier to compare degrees at this level while adopting a common framework for measuring qualifications.
(This text contains a lot of interesting information on the comparison and terminology of higher education degrees)

Native speaker of: Native in FrenchFrench, Native in DutchDutch
PRO pts in pair: 129
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Return to KudoZ list

KudoZ™ translation help
The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Term search
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search