KudoZ home » Dutch to English » Tech/Engineering



Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs
(or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
06:41 Jun 21, 2000
Dutch to English translations [PRO]
Dutch term or phrase: vormstuk
Steel industry. The term seems to be used for both what you call a 'blank' in English (which I understand to be the flat metal sheet which is to be formed with a die & press to make a car body part for example) and the part after the forming process has been completed. Can both of these meanings be rendered by 'blank' in English or is there a better term for the completed part?
Liz Tucker

Summary of answers provided
namolded partJosef Schmid, Jr.
namould (ed) piece/part



43 mins
mould (ed) piece/part

mould(ed) piece/part

Dear Liz,

Even though I understand why you could use 'blank' as translation for 'vormstuk', I wouldn't use it here. A blank (in its third or fourth meaning)is more of a unfinished piece of steel obtained from (indeed) e.g. a flat metal sheet.

A mould(ed) piece or part comes a whole lot closer to 'vormstuk' (it's almost a literal translation but correct). You could further differentiate between a mould base and a customized mould(ed) piece/part.
Have a look at e.g. www.mtech.com.hk/SS_lungkee.htm
Correct me if I'm wrong here.
Bye for now, EDS

    Reference: http://www.mtech.com.hk/SS_lungkee.htm
Local time: 04:46
Native speaker of: Native in DutchDutch, Native in FlemishFlemish
PRO pts in pair: 1278
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

3 days 2 hrs
molded part

A molded part is something that is either finished or unfinished. A blank in the steel industry is a part that has the rough dimensions of a finished part which may then be machined. You cannot use "blank" for both. Because this is confusing, more context is needed to be specific. Ingots and billets are molded parts as they come from the tundish (intermediate vessel between the furnace and the mold). Ingots and billets are then reshaped after reheating. A molded part can also be formed in its final dimensions and is thus a finished part. The steel industry naturally has ancillary shops with specific equipment, for example, piping, which can have a fitting(EN) = Formstueck(GE) = vormstuk(DU). Joe Schmid, Charlotte, NC USA

Josef Schmid, Jr.
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Return to KudoZ list

KudoZ™ translation help
The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Term search
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search