|Reference: Hill's Pet Nutrition|
Nutrigenomics is a branch of nutritional genomics and is the study of the effects of foods and food constituents on gene expression. It is a field of research focusing on identifying and understanding molecular-level interaction between nutrients and other dietary bioactives with the genome. Nutrigenomics studies the influence of genetic variation on nutrition by correlating gene expression or SNPs with a nutrient's absorption, metabolism, elimination or biological effects. The field aims to enhance rational means to optimize nutrition with respect to an individual's genotype.
By determining the mechanism of the effects of nutrients or the effects of a nutritional regime, nutrigenomics tries to define the causality or relationship between these specific nutrients and specific nutrient regimes (diets) on human health. Nutrigenomics has been associated with the idea of personalized nutrition based on genotype. While there is hope that nutrigenomics will ultimately enable such personalised dietary advice, it is a science still in its infancy and its contribution to public health over the next decade is thought to be major. Whilst nutrigenomics is aimed at developing an understanding of how the whole body responds to a food via systems biology, research into the effect of a single gene/single food compound relationships is known as nutrigenetics.
Hill’s Pet Nutrition
Our vision is to make nutrition a cornerstone of veterinary medicine, which builds on Hill’s heritage of leading-edge research, from the pioneering work of our founder Dr. Mark L. Morris to our current global exploration of the science of Nutrigenomics and predictive biology.
For over 10 years Hill's has been using cutting edge scientific tools such as Predictive Biology to research the effects of nutrition on cell function. Predictive Biology is a way of understanding the biology of ageing by investigating what's happening at gene level. Each gene in the body contains the code to build a specific protein. Genes can be influenced by nutrition to produce more or less of the protein they code for in a process called called gene expression, much like a dimmer switch on a light. We have shown that younger dogs and cats have very different gene expressions than older animals. These gene expression changes affect key metabolic pathways and body functions including oxidation, inflammation, and the immune system. The next step was to look for nutritional interventions that could positively impact these gene expression differences in older pets. We then overlaid our knowledge of the taste preferences of older pets, and came up with the combination of ingredients to formulate our latest great-tasting nutritional innovation for dogs and cats, Hill's™ Science Diet™ Youthful Vitality. So how does Youthful Vitality work? All Hill's™ Science Diet™ senior foods, including Youthful Vitality, contain a clinically proven antioxidant blend of vitamin E, vitamin C, beta carotene and selenium. Youthful Vitality contains an additional powerful antioxidant package, derived from fruits, vegetables, herbal extracts and natural flavours, specifically designed to support and help maintain healthy brain function. This powerful antioxidant package helps to counter the free radicals that lead to ageing in every cell.
So how does Youthful Vitality work? All Hill's™ Science Diet™ senior foods, including Youthful Vitality, contain a clinically proven antioxidant blend of vitamin E, vitamin C, beta carotene and selenium. Youthful Vitality contains an additional powerful antioxidant package, derived from fruits, vegetables, herbal extracts and
Job Description: Hill s Pet Nutrition is a $2.3 Billion, global division of Colgate-Palmolive Company and the maker of Prescription Diet, Science Diet, Ideal Balance and Healthy Advantage brand pet food. Our mission is to help enrich and lengthen the special relationship between people and their pets by providing the best, leading-edge pet nutrition technology, products and expertise to pet owners, veterinary professionals and other key pet professionals worldwide. Our company is a globally recognized Best Place to Work. We invite applications for the position of Laboratory Technician, Predictive Biology. As a Laboratory Technician in Predictive Biology for Hill's Pet Nutrition, you will be responsible for:
- the preparation of high quality RNA, DNA, cDNA and related samples for advanced biological tests including but not limited to: real-time PCR, DNA sequencing, and RNA sequencing.
- The individual may help establish and maintain feline and canine cell culture panels and primary cultures, and will test ingredients using these cultures.
- The individual may also operate automated ELISA-based and/or qPCR instruments.
- The individual will perform initial data management and reporting and will maintain accurate laboratory records and sample inventories.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
* Establish and maintain feline and canine tissue culture panels and primary cultures for test protocols.
* Execute protocols for extraction and purification of high quality RNA, DNA and related samples and high efficiency amplification of DNA samples.
* Perform established PCR, real-time PCR, and ELISA-based protocols, including multiplexed ELISA assays.
* Assist in the performance of genomic and gene-expression experiments.
* Assist in validating laboratory methods, especially qPCR, ELISA, and selective DNA amplification by PCR.
* Coordinate closely with other group members in scheduling and performing laboratory preparations and tests.
* Continuously evaluate new technology developments and possible implementation ideas. Basic qualifications include:
* B.S. degree in biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics, or a related science field AND1-2 years of experience in laboratory life science. OR
* M.S. degree in biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics, or a related science field with 0-1 year experience in laboratory life science.
Preferred qualifications include:
* B.S. or M.S. in molecular biology with 1 year experience in DNA and RNA sample handling and preparation.
Experience in one or more molecular biology lab techniques, especially in cell culture, PCR, qPCR, ELISA, DNA sequencing, and/or general microbiology.
* Experience in automated sample processing.
Hill s offers:
* Highly competitive pay and benefits package that starts the first day of employment (medical/dental/vision)
* Annual tuition reimbursement up to $10,000.
* Opportunities for training and advancement.
* Professional, ethical, drug free environment.
At Colgate-Palmolive/Hill s Pet Nutrition, we care about people and continuously strive to be a great place to work. Join our team today! Are you interested in working for Hill's Pet Nutrition? Then apply using this online application. Attach all relevant documents such as a cover letter and resume or CV. Applications received by e-mail are not considered in the selection process. Become part of our team. We look forward to your application. Equal Opportunity Employer. Colgate is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.