13:47 Jul 26, 2013
This question was closed without grading. Reason: Other

English to French translations [PRO]
Tech/Engineering - Safety
English term or phrase: fluffing
Working un a confined space - engulfing hazards:
Liquid or loose materials trap a worker
Floofing (water or sewage flow)
Typically associated with loose materials in bins, silos and hoppers.
Death can occur by asphyxiation, aspiration or constriction
Catherine Lenoir
Local time: 21:30

Summary of answers provided
4 +1inondation
Marcombes (X)

Discussion entries: 6



5 hrs   confidence: Answerer confidence 4/5Answerer confidence 4/5 peer agreement (net): +1

* What else?

Local time: 21:30
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
agree  Cyril B.
8 hrs
  -> Merci

disagree  Marcombes (X): There was already some type of chaotic discussion related to this
8 days

agree  FX Fraipont (X)
9 days
  -> Merci
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

16 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 4/5Answerer confidence 4/5


Note added at 19 heures (2013-07-27 09:45:41 GMT)

"Fluffing" existe. Voir le site ci-après du traitement des boues et des eaux usées. Il y a décantation et il y a également "floculation" ou "formation de flocs".
Ces bassins appelés aussi bassins d'oxydation mettent en œuvre une biomasse bactérienne libre associée en flocs. Ces flocons de boues comprennent des microorganismes hétérotrophes et autotrophes nitrifiants lorsque le temps de séjour de la boue est suffisant pour que leur multiplication produise une biomasse active dans le traitement.
Cette reproduction des microorganismes intervient en conditions favorables, lorsque leur croissance est importante est que les bactéries se mettent à se diviser. Les exo-polymères qu'elles sécrètent leur permet de s'agglomérer en flocs décantables.
Les conditions d'opération choisies sont celles qui favorisent la décantabilité de ces flocs.

Note added at 19 heures (2013-07-27 09:47:52 GMT)

Coagulation - Floculation

Note added at 20 heures (2013-07-27 09:50:20 GMT)

Je pense qu'on peut également traduire par "formation de flocs"

Marcombes (X)
Local time: 21:30
Native speaker of: Native in FrenchFrench
PRO pts in category: 4

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
neutral  kashew: Yes, that would be flocculation in EN - more scientific than fluffing up
34 mins
  -> in water sewage flows, it is "floculation" in French (to form fluffy particles, former des particules floconneuses). By the way, why dont' you say "foisonner" instead of "gonfler" if you want to keep to the idea of bulking?
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs (or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.

KudoZ™ translation help

The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Your current localization setting


Select a language

Term search
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search