dispositivo, artefacto o estufa de gas colocado
he noun appliance has 2 meanings:
Meaning #1: a device that very useful for a particular job
Synonyms: contraption, contrivance, convenience, gadget, gizmo, gismo, widget.
stand·ing (stăn'dĭng) pronunciation
1. Status with respect to rank, reputation, or position in society or a profession.
2. High reputation; esteem: a person of standing in the community.
2. Continuance in time; duration: a friendship of long standing.
3. Law. The right or capacity to initiate a suit.
4. The act of one that stands.
5. A place where a person or thing stands.
6. standings Sports. A listing of individual competitors or of teams in a league according to their record of performance.
1. Remaining upright; erect.
2. Not cut down: standing timber.
2. Performed or done from a standing position: a standing jump; a standing ovation.
3. Permanent and unchanging; fixed.
4. Remaining in force or use indefinitely: a standing invitation.
5. Not movable; stationary.
6. Not flowing or circulating; stagnant.
n. - status, posición social
adj. - parado, de pie, vertical, clásico, fijo, permanente, estancado
The term Appliance has several different areas of meaning, all usually refering to a device with a narrow function:
* One class of objects includes items that are custom-fitted to an individual for the purpose of correction of a physical problem, such as prosthetic and orthotic appliances.
* Another class of objects includes items that accomplish routine household tasks, using electricity or some other energy input. These are grouped into two categories: small appliances and major appliances. Such items as toilets and sinks are not appliances, but plumbing fixtures, because they operate only with water and not with energy input.
* A certain class of computer products, where the device is has a specific function, and limited ability to configure.
Networking of Home Appliances
There is an increasing trend to network home appliances together, and combine their controls and key functions. For instance, energy distribution can be managed more evenly so that when the washing machine is on, the oven can ge into a delayed start mode, or vice versa. Or, a washing machine and dryer may share information about load characteristics (gentle/normal, light/full), and synchronize their finish times so the wet laundry does not have to wait before being put in the dryer.
Local time: 13:18
Specializes in field
Native speaker of: Spanish
PRO pts in category: 97