marca, revisa, califica/ recalifica, vuelve a revisar
1. A trademark or distinctive name identifying a product or a manufacturer.
2. A product line so identified: a popular brand of soap.
3. A distinctive category; a particular kind: a brand of comedy that I do not care for.
2. A mark indicating identity or ownership, burned on the hide of an animal with a hot iron.
3. A mark burned into the flesh of criminals.
4. A mark of disgrace or notoriety; a stigma. See synonyms at stain.
5. A branding iron.
6. A piece of burning or charred wood.
7. A sword: “So flashed and fell the brand Excalibur” (Tennyson).
tr.v., brand·ed, brand·ing, brands.
1. To mark with or as if with a hot iron. See synonyms at mark1.
2. To mark to show ownership.
A name or other device placed on merchandise to signify its ownership or manufacture: colophon, label, mark, trademark. See marks.
1. To set off by or as if by a mark indicating ownership or manufacture: identify, label, mark, tag, trademark. See marks.
2. To mark with disgrace or infamy: stigmatize. Idioms: give someone a bad name. See marks, respect/contempt/standing.
Applying a trade name to a product or service. It also refers to developing awareness for the name. Branding is one of the hottest topics in e-commerce, where dot-com companies are spending a fortune trying to develop brand awareness for online shopping. Companies spend millions getting their dot-com name on radio, TV, in magazines and on other Web sites in order to capture the audience for the future. Many feel the money is well spent even if it means several years worth of losses, because the potential of the Web is so enormous. Branding fever is expected to last for quite a while. See cross promotion.
THIS COPYRIGHTED DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY.
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2005 Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.
Directory > Science & Tech > Technology > brand
Note: click on a word meaning below to see its connections and related words.
The noun brand has 6 meanings:
Meaning #1: a name given to a product or service
Synonyms: trade name, brand name, marque
Meaning #2: a recognizable kind
Meaning #3: identification mark on skin, made by burning
Meaning #4: a piece of wood that has been burned or is burning
Meaning #5: a symbol of disgrace or infamy
Synonyms: mark, stigma, stain
Meaning #6: a cutting or thrusting weapon with a long blade
Synonyms: sword, blade, steel.
n. - marca, estigma
v. tr. - estigmatizar, marcar, tildar, herrar
Local time: 08:40
Works in field
Native speaker of: Spanish
PRO pts in category: 27