06:13 Jul 31, 2007
This question was closed without grading. Reason: Other

English to English translations [Non-PRO]
Art/Literary - Education / Pedagogy / stenography
English term or phrase: KJEUTRDA
This is an english word in stenography. I know EU is the letter combination for the letter "i" but I haven't been able to figure out the rest. Thank you in advance for your time.

Summary of answers provided
Ken Cox

Discussion entries: 5



2 hrs   confidence: Answerer confidence 3/5Answerer confidence 3/5

Do you know which stenography system is being used?

see e.g.

Some shorthand systems attempted to ease learning by using characters from the Latin alphabet. Such systems have often been described as alphabetic, and purists might claim that such systems are not true shorthand. However, these non-symbol systems do have value for students who cannot dedicate the years necessary to master a symbol shorthand. Non-symbol shorthands cannot be written at the speeds theoretically possible with symbol systems - 200 words per minute or more - but require only a fraction of the time to acquire a useful speed of between 60 and 100 words per minute.

Non-symbol systems often supplement alphabetic characters by using punctuation marks as additional characters, giving special significance to capitalised letters, and sometimes using additional non-alphabetic symbols. Examples of such systems include Stenoscript, Stenospeed, Speedwriting, Forkner shorthand and "Alpha". However, there are some pure alphabetic systems, including Personal Shorthand, SuperWrite, EasyScript & Agiliwriting, which limit their symbols to purely alphabetic characters. These have the added advantage that they can also be typed - for instance, onto a computer, PDA or cellphone. Interestingly, early editions of Speedwriting were also adapted so that they could be written on a typewriter, and therefore would possess the same advantage.


Ken Cox
Local time: 22:40
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in category: 12
Notes to answerer
Asker: I'm pretty sure it's a symbol shorthand. It's written on a stenotype machine. More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stenotype

Asker: Unfortunately, I do not know the "chording" system being used.

Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs (or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.

KudoZ™ translation help

The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Your current localization setting


Select a language

Term search
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search