un vase (en verre de) Whitefriars des années soixante
En fait, ce devrait être *a Whitefriars sixties vase* ;-)
Il s'agit d'un vase produit par la verrerie Whitefriars Glassworks, au Royaume Uni : on peut parler de "vase Whitefriars" comme on dirait "un service en (porcelaine de) Limoges".
cf. illustrations sur http://www.whitefriars.com/
"James Powell and Sons, Whitefriars Glass 1880 - 1980
The origins of Whitefriars glass date back 300 years; the Powell family influence starts in 1834 when James Powell, a wine merchant, purchased the business. However, until Philip Webb commissioned Whitefriars to make a suite of glass for William Morris's own use at the Red House, the majority of glass produced was high quality cut and domestic glass which was hard to distinguish from other contemporary glass houses. This commission from a progressive architect of the Ruskinian School inspired a group of tableware of novel and far reaching influence. This new, simple, fine and well proportioned glass inspired other designed glasses from T. G. Jackson, an architect trained by Gilbert Scott from 1875."
"When you think of the big, historic names in British glass, companies like Stevens & Williams and Thomas Webb & Sons or even Richardsons or John Walsh Walsh more than likely spring to the mind first. Yet, none of these wins the award for being the longest active British glasshouse - that honour goes to Whitefriars Glassworks, a company that continued to make and market highly creative, successful lines of glass for more than 250 years. Today, eager Whitefriars glass collectors have a multitude of different styles and historic lines of glass to hunt for and choose from.
As a very old craft, glassblowing is rich in historic associations. The Whitefriars Glassworks dates back to 1680 fourteen years after the Great Fire of London when one William Davies founded it near the Temple in the City of London, on a site between Fleet Street and the Thames, now devoted to newspaper production. There had originally stood the Monastery of the Carmelite Fathers, who were known as the "White Friars". In choosing this site the founder was no doubt influenced by ready access to the wharves from which to draw Newcastle coal, sand, clay and the other materials required for his trade. Although the religious house was surrendered in I538, the precincts had remained a sanctuary, nominally for debtors but in practice for criminals of all kinds, and as a result all available space was crowded with people living in squalor. Understandably, until the privilege of sanctuary was abolished in 1697 and for some time afterwards the area was one of ill repute."
Local time: 09:02
Native speaker of: French, Italian
PRO pts in pair: 652