KudoZ home » English to German » Automotive / Cars & Trucks


Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs
(or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
10:17 Apr 4, 2008
This question was closed without grading. Reason: No acceptable answer

English to German translations [PRO]
Tech/Engineering - Automotive / Cars & Trucks / Surfaces of engine block
English term or phrase: bump
I found this term several times in a car repair manual (technician's handbook).


1) Measure bump "a" between camshaft housing and cylinder head using dial gauge.

2) Measure bump "a" between cylinder head and cylinder block (flatness) using dial gauge and special tool.

Could it possibly be translated "Unebenheit" in this special context?
Local time: 00:29

Summary of answers provided
3Nocke (Nockenbuckel)
Erika Berrai-Flynn

Discussion entries: 1



34 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 3/5Answerer confidence 3/5
Nocke (Nockenbuckel)

Cam lobes
The bumps on a camshaft that contact and activate such devices as the lifters, which operate the valves, and the rubbing block, which causes the points to open and close, as the cam spins with the distributor shaft.

    Reference: http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/49158_camshaf...
    Reference: http://iate.europa.eu/iatediff/SearchByQuery.do;jsessionid=9...
Erika Berrai-Flynn
United States
Local time: 00:29
Native speaker of: Native in GermanGerman
PRO pts in category: 4
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Return to KudoZ list

KudoZ™ translation help
The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Term search
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search