KudoZ home » English to German » Tech/Engineering

self-clinching fastener


Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs
(or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
05:37 Oct 19, 2000
English to German translations [PRO]
English term or phrase: self-clinching fastener
self-clinching fastener (Befestigungselement, sorry no further explanation)
Local time: 03:52

Summary of answers provided
naSee textAndrew Morgan
naBefestigungselement mit Eigenverschluß/SelbstverschlußEsther Burn
naselbst-haftender Verschluß
Dierk Seeburg
naKlettverschlußKatarzyna Landa
naselbst-schließendes Befestigungselement
Mats Wiman



19 mins
selbst-schließendes Befestigungselement

ist das Beste, was ich momentan kann

Mats Wiman
Local time: 03:52
Native speaker of: Native in SwedishSwedish
PRO pts in pair: 711
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

1 hr

If it is to be used for textiles or shoes. Does it maske sense?

Katarzyna Landa
Local time: 03:52
PRO pts in pair: 28
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

4 hrs
selbst-haftender Verschluß

As "to clinch" can mean "haften", how is this? What context is this?


    Reference: http://dict.leo.org/?search=clinch&lang=en
    Reference: http://dict.leo.org/?search=fastener&lang=en
Dierk Seeburg
Local time: 19:52
Native speaker of: Native in GermanGerman
PRO pts in pair: 130
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

11 hrs
Befestigungselement mit Eigenverschluß/Selbstverschluß

optional: Befestigungselement mit Selbstverschlußfunktion

selbst-schließendes Befestigungselement von mats ist auch gut.

clinching = klammern
self-chlinching= selbst-klammernder

im context ist vielleicht auch eine Kombination mit Klammern, klammernder, selbst-klemmendes Befestigungselement möglich

Esther Burn
Local time: 03:52
Native speaker of: Native in GermanGerman
PRO pts in pair: 9
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

22 hrs
See text

Im afraid none of the answers to date will help much in n engineering context, having said, I need o know what you mean by "fastener" here. Self clinching is "Einpress-" or, in a more specific usage, "Einniet-" /the differemnce being that the latter has a collar that is splayed to creat a rivet effect whereas the formar has a burred or fluted collar that presses into the material). For a threaded insert you would then add "-mutter". If you are talking about fasteners for panels and housings then there are specific forms called "Verteldrehverschlüsse" (literally quarter turn fasteners) which have this form of self-clinching assembly.

Unfortunately, as ever, context is all, send me the complete sentence and Ill be able to tell you more. Try looking at the URL below for your product or someting smilar, they have the site in English and German

    Reference: http://www.kerbkonus.com
Andrew Morgan
Local time: 03:52
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in pair: 37
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Return to KudoZ list

KudoZ™ translation help
The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Term search
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search