KudoZ home » English to Greek » Architecture


Greek translation: λοφίο (στην αρχιτεκτονική)

Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs
(or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
English term or phrase:pendentive
Greek translation:λοφίο (στην αρχιτεκτονική)
Entered by: Ivi Rocou
- Contribute to this entry
- Include in personal glossary

18:08 Nov 5, 2008
English to Greek translations [PRO]
Art/Literary - Architecture / building/church architecture
English term or phrase: pendentive
...many of the churches use what is called a pendentive. A device that enables a builder to transition between a spherical dome and a square room below.
Ivi Rocou
Local time: 00:21
This is the terminology
Selected response from:

Dr. Derk von Moock
Local time: 00:21
Grading comment
4 KudoZ points were awarded for this answer

Summary of answers provided
5 +2λοφίο
Dr. Derk von Moock
Summary of reference entries provided
Ellen Kraus



8 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 5/5 peer agreement (net): +2

This is the terminology

Dr. Derk von Moock
Local time: 00:21
Specializes in field
Native speaker of: Native in GermanGerman
PRO pts in category: 4

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
agree  Vicky Papaprodromou: http://www.google.gr/search?hl=en&rlz=1B3GGGL_elGR279GR279&q...
7 mins
  -> Thanks. Sorry for not giving some reference, I just use the word twice a day ;-)

agree  Evi Prokopi
3 hrs
  -> Ευχαριστώ πολύ.
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Reference comments

10 mins peer agreement (net): +1
Reference: pendentive

Reference information:
this term means the <spandrel in a vault> and is a specific technical term in architecture. Much to my regret, I can´t trace the Greek equivalent, but I am sure you will be successful to this effect.

Note added at 18 Min. (2008-11-05 18:27:21 GMT)

Zwickel (Architektur) – Wikipedia(Weitergeleitet von Gewölbezwickel). Wechseln zu: Navigation, Suche ... Der Gewölbezwickel ist die dreidimensional gekrümmte Fläche zwischen den Bögen eines ...
de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gewölbezwickel - 16k - Im Cache - Ähnliche Seiten

Note added at 20 Min. (2008-11-05 18:29:13 GMT)

Backfill and spandrels to limit the vault bending - [ Diese Seite übersetzen ]The structural rehabilitation of historical buildings has often to face the problem of the evaluation of the actual bearing capacity of the vaults. ...
library.witpress.com/pages/PaperInfo.asp?PaperID=5660 - 23k

Ellen Kraus
Native speaker of: Native in GermanGerman
PRO pts in category: 3

Peer comments on this reference comment (and responses from the reference poster)
agree  Dr. Derk von Moock: Im Deutschen häufiger Pendentif als Zwickel bzw. Hängezwickel. JA
29 mins
  -> danke ! und lofio ist das griech. Pendant ?
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Return to KudoZ list

Changes made by editors
May 16, 2009 - Changes made by Ivi Rocou:
Created KOG entryKudoZ term » KOG term

KudoZ™ translation help
The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Term search
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search