KudoZ home » English to Hebrew » Tech/Engineering


Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs
(or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.
05:14 May 28, 2002
English to Hebrew translations [Non-PRO]
English term or phrase: padding

Summary of answers provided
5 +1meeLOOee מילוי
Sue Goldian
John Kinory
5ריפוד ripud
Igal Moria

Discussion entries: 1



33 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 5/5
ריפוד ripud

Pretty straight-forward, really -- there is only one Hebrew word for padding. However, the Hebrew word ריפוד suggested above also means upholstery.

Igal Moria
Local time: 08:56

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
neutral  John Kinory: This would be correct in the context of upholstery
5 days
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

1 day 13 hrs   confidence: Answerer confidence 5/5 peer agreement (net): +1
meeLOOee מילוי

In the context of textiles, padding is meeLOOee, a word which also means filling in many other contexts. See the two URLs below - one a description of a sleeping bag and the other an article about jackets and coats - the term meeLOOee is used in both.

    Reference: http://www.saar.com/html/aztec12.htm
    Reference: http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-260557,00.html
Sue Goldian
Local time: 08:56
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in pair: 50

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
neutral  Igal Moria: Sue, I am wondering about that. Padding and filling are slightly different things. I believe that the word you chose is more for filling. What do you think?
2 days 11 hrs
  -> I think the asker should provide more information. The meelooee I'm talking about is called batting in English, not filling, and it is called meelooee in Hebrew, in the context of quilts and quilted garments and similar things. Take a look at the URLs.

agree  John Kinory: One possibility. I'd spell it 'millooy', though :-)
3 days 17 hrs
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

5 days   confidence: Answerer confidence 5/5




This can be used both for a thin layer of padding in upholstery, or a thin layer of padding/filling/batting in a windcheater or other form of jacket.

    Sapir dictionary
John Kinory
Local time: 06:56
PRO pts in pair: 43
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Return to KudoZ list

KudoZ™ translation help
The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Term search
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search