10:30 Jul 27, 2018
French to English translations [PRO]
Art/Literary - Art, Arts & Crafts, Painting / Description of painting
French term or phrase: Cuvette
Hello all.
I'm translating a series of texts for an art gallery, not sure what cuvette refers to in the following, something to do with the etching process perhaps?
Antonio Visentini, « Du Palazzo Corner en direction de San Vitale », eau-forte sur vélin, 351 x 516 mm, feuille; 272 x 430 mm, cuvette, in Recueil des Urbis Venetarium Prospectus Celebriores, 1742, planche 10.
Grateful for any help!
Anne Greaves
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:58

Summary of answers provided
3Plate cut
Lucien Rousseau
Summary of reference entries provided
plate mark on the recto of the paper
Roy vd Heijden
Helen Shiner



24 days   confidence: Answerer confidence 3/5Answerer confidence 3/5
Plate cut

Comme indiqué dans les références fournies par Roy vd Heijden, la cuvette est aussi appelée "Coup de planche". Sur le site, site internet d'art contemporain, ce coup de planche est traduit par "plate cut".

Example sentence(s):
  • [...] aux adoucissements des arêtes vives des quatre bords d\'un cuivre ou d\'un zinc que l\'on effectue avec une lime ou un grattoir pour que le papier de l\'épreuve ne soit pas trop marqué - ce que l\'on appelle le coup de planche - au moment de [...
  • [...] which relate to the removal of the sharp edges of the four borders of a copper or zinc plate that one performs using a file or a scraper so that the proof paper is not damaged when the print is under the press (this is called plate cut).
Lucien Rousseau
Specializes in field
Native speaker of: Native in FrenchFrench
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Reference comments

18 mins peer agreement (net): +2
Reference: plate mark on the recto of the paper

Reference information:
Coup de planche ou cuvette
" Empreinte en creux laissée par le cuivre dans le papier lors de son passage sous presse. "

"The pressure of an intaglio plate on the paper when pulled through the press results in the formation of a plate mark. In French, a distinction is made between the plate mark on the recto of the paper (“cuvette”) and that on the verso (“foulage”).

Note added at 25 mins (2018-07-27 10:55:40 GMT)

plate mark / cuvette:

Roy vd Heijden
Native speaker of: Native in DutchDutch
Note to reference poster
Asker: Thanks to both!

Peer comments on this reference comment (and responses from the reference poster)
agree  Helen Shiner: I was about to post this term as an answer then saw you had posted it as a reference shortly after mine. Please do post it.
7 mins
agree  Kevin Oheix:
10 hrs
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

14 mins
Reference: Cuvette

Reference information:
Here is a definition of the term in a print context:

Note added at 48 mins (2018-07-27 11:19:08 GMT)

This glossary confirms ‘cuvette’ as ‘plate mark’:ées-français-anglais.html

Helen Shiner
United Kingdom
Specializes in field
Native speaker of: English
PRO pts in category: 316
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs (or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.

KudoZ™ translation help

The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Your current localization setting


Select a language

Term search
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search