English translation: Diplôme d'aptitude professionnelle/Professional or Vocational Diploma

French term or phrase:DAP
English translation:Diplôme d'aptitude professionnelle/Professional or Vocational Diploma
Entered by: Claire N.

11:13 Aug 3, 2010
French to English translations [Non-PRO]
Social Sciences - Education / Pedagogy / French African Education
French term or phrase: DAP
This term comes from a Niger French Education certificate for secondary or higher education. Along side is written "Gestion des Entreprises", the subject studied.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

Stephen Mason
Stephen Mason (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:00
Diplôme d'aptitude professionnelle/Professional Diploma
As in your previous question?
Selected response from:

Claire N.
Local time: 00:00
Grading comment
4 KudoZ points were awarded for this answer

Summary of answers provided
4vocational aptitude diploma (DAP). ...
Constantinos Faridis (X)
3 +1Diplôme d'aptitude professionnelle/Professional Diploma
Claire N.
Summary of reference entries provided
On the non-translatability of academic credentials
Yolanda Broad

Discussion entries: 1



5 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 3/5Answerer confidence 3/5 peer agreement (net): +1
Diplôme d'aptitude professionnelle/Professional Diploma

As in your previous question?

Claire N.
Local time: 00:00
Native speaker of: English
PRO pts in category: 68

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
neutral  Tony M: Depends what level this is at (no context from asker?), but very often, FR 'professionnel' is not 'professional' in EN (cf. CAP, for example) / Exactly, as per other question, I think it needs to be 'vocational' (I work in education)
5 hrs
  -> See asker's other question; link in writeaway's entry in discussion section./O.K., Tony. The majority seemed to be leaning towards ''Professional Diploma'' in the other question, which is why I chose it also (asker wanted British equiv.).

agree  Yolanda Broad: Yes, it should definitely be left in French: credentials are names, not terms. / I have just posted an answer below, in the Reference section.
8 days
  -> Yolanda, I have translated diplomas before and have been unsure of a ''rule'' for this. Can you suggest a ref. book for this?
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

11 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 4/5Answerer confidence 4/5
vocational aptitude diploma (DAP). ...

... leading to the technician diploma,; Professional system, rewarded by the vocational capacity diploma (CCP) or the vocational aptitude diploma (DAP). ...

Constantinos Faridis (X)
Local time: 07:00
Native speaker of: Greek
PRO pts in category: 4
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Reference comments

9 days peer agreement (net): +3
Reference: On the non-translatability of academic credentials

Reference information:
I am posting below my standard explanation about academic credentials. I have posted the same explanation in a number of KudoZ over the years.

In the case of an academic credential, there is no "translation" - The short explanation is: translators are not in a position to determine degree or diploma equivalencies, a complex task that can only be performed by qualified officials at degree-awarding institutions. I speak from experience not only as a translator but as a retired academic: I sat for years on a university committee that developed the standards for admission, transfer and graduation from that institution. Once those standards were developed and approved by the university community and its officials, they became part of the tools with which the university registrar could work. Registrars are the *only* officials at an institution of higher learning who can evaluate degree equivalencies. And they can only do so in terms of their own institution's standards. Not even they are in a position to "re-award" a degree or credits earned elsewhere! In like manner, boards of education/state departments of education (in the US) are the only ones qualified to determine what is required to satisfy requirements for graduation. In France, it is the Ministère de l'éducation.

For a tool that registrars use, you might want to look at Eurydice, which has done a mammoth job of developing equivalencies (no doubt relieving assorted academic administrators of many headaches). Here is the URL:


However, just because an equivalency appears "ready-made" in Eurydice does not suddenly convert translators into surrogate registrars.

Note added at 2863 days (2018-06-05 23:14:44 GMT) Post-grading

Please note: http://www.eurydice.org/ is no longer a Website dedicated to developing credential equivalencies.

Yolanda Broad
United States
Specializes in field
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish
PRO pts in category: 28

Peer comments on this reference comment (and responses from the reference poster)
agree  Claire N.: Thanks so much for this. I will bookmark the euridice link for future use. It looks like an exhaustive reference tool.
12 mins
agree  Charles Davis: Wise words
2048 days
agree  Conor McAuley: Great explanation. Now ECTS makes life easier for us, at least within the EU. / This is a very useful resource that provides equivalancies, e.g. "Diplôme d'Etat de docteur en médecine": https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=celex:32...
3435 days
  -> Interesting reference. Thank you, Conor.
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs (or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.

KudoZ™ translation help

The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Your current localization setting


Select a language

Term search
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search