08:10 Apr 13, 2005
This question was closed without grading. Reason: No acceptable answer

French to English translations [PRO]
Tech/Engineering - Fisheries / Trawl fishing
French term or phrase: debordement
Specifications for a trawl-net sensor system.

"Débordements à bâbord et à tribord du chalut par rapport à la route du navire" describes a problem with the trawl that can be detected by the system.

I think it may be skewing, or possibly horizontal skewing, but I cannot find any reference to the French at all.

Any salty old dogs out there who can help?
Laurence Nunny
Local time: 11:49

Summary of answers provided
Kelvin Wu

Discussion entries: 1



4 mins   confidence: Answerer confidence 3/5Answerer confidence 3/5


Local time: 11:49
Native speaker of: Native in SpanishSpanish

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
neutral  Amy Williams: overflowing of what?
3 hrs
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

13 hrs   confidence: Answerer confidence 3/5Answerer confidence 3/5

From the context and the references to port and starboard it sounds like rolling as in "rolling and pitching".

There is nautical equipment out there that will detect and try to correct such a destabilizing motion, e.g. the "Anti Rolling Gyro" featured on the first site below.

I wish I could be more sure but I don't have my dictionary of nautical terminology with me any more. It was published by Elsevier's in case you have a whole lot more to translate and need to get it from a library.


"When the boat starts to roll the spinning flywheel [of the Anti Rolling Gyro gizmo] converts the rolling motion into torque, causing the flywheel mechanism to spin on its gimbals."

"The ARG is a roll-damping system, but it does not completely eliminate all roll motion."

"The ARG is intended to suppress rolling of the boat while at anchor or while trolling."

Kelvin Wu
Local time: 05:49
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish, Native in ChineseChinese
PRO pts in category: 4
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs (or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.

KudoZ™ translation help

The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Your current localization setting


Select a language

Term search
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search