indivision post-communautaire

10:02 Dec 5, 2018
This question was closed without grading. Reason: No acceptable answer

French to English translations [PRO]
Law/Patents - Law (general) / Family law
French term or phrase: indivision post-communautaire
I am translating a 'mémoire ampliatif' to be filed with the Cour de Cassation in a divorce case, in which reference is made to various debts owing to and payable by the spouses. Initially, years ago when the couple first divorced, the wife was allowed to occupy the couple's home for a few years and is therefore liable for 'l'indemnité d'occupation due à *l'indivision post-communautaire' par Mme xxx au titre de la jouissance de la maison ...'. Reference is also made to 'l'existence d'une créance de Mme xxx sur l'indivision post-communautaire relativement aux taxes et travaux de la maison ...'. Any suggestions would be most welcome! Thanks in advance if you're able to help me with this.
Sarah Russell
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:47

Summary of answers provided
3 -1ownership in undivided shares subsequent to the liquidation of a marital community
John Fossey

Discussion entries: 5



7 hrs   confidence: Answerer confidence 3/5Answerer confidence 3/5 peer agreement (net): -1
ownership in undivided shares subsequent to the liquidation of a marital community

It arises when, after a divorce, there remains property that is still jointly owned.

It is explained at the url below, which gives this translation:

There might be a way to simplify it a bit, but care would be needed to retain the sense.
John Fossey
Local time: 01:47
Specializes in field
Native speaker of: Native in EnglishEnglish

Peer comments on this answer (and responses from the answerer)
disagree  Eliza Hall: Unless "marital community" is a UK legal term, I would use "marital property" (US legal term for property that is jointly owned by spouses, or is legally considered jointly owned even if it's titled only in one spouse's name). See discussion re indivision
1 day 5 hrs
  -> The term "marital property" covers both the community regime and the separate regime. In this case we are talking about the community regime, not the separate regime.
Login to enter a peer comment (or grade)

Login or register (free and only takes a few minutes) to participate in this question.

You will also have access to many other tools and opportunities designed for those who have language-related jobs (or are passionate about them). Participation is free and the site has a strict confidentiality policy.

KudoZ™ translation help

The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases.

See also:

Your current localization setting


Select a language

Term search
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search